Procedure upon petition for enforcement of order of commission — Court's order of enforcement.
The following procedure shall apply in all cases where the commission has petitioned a court of competent jurisdiction for enforcement of any order it has issued pursuant to this chapter:
(1) A copy of the petition shall be served by certified mail directed to the respondent at his or her last known address. The court shall issue an order directing the respondent to appear at a time designated in the order, not less than five days from the date thereof, and show cause why the commission's order should not be enforced according to its terms.
(2) The commission's order shall be enforced by the court if the respondent does not appear, or if the respondent appears and the court finds, pursuant to a hearing held for that purpose:
(a) That the commission's order is unsatisfied;
(b) That the order is regular on its face; and
(c) That the respondent's answer discloses no valid reason why the commission's order should not be enforced or that the respondent had an appropriate remedy by review under RCW 34.05.570(3) and failed to avail himself or herself of that remedy without valid excuse.
(3) Upon appropriate application by the respondent, the court may, after hearing and for good cause, alter, amend, revise, suspend, or postpone all or part of the commission's order. In any case where the order is not enforced by the court according to its terms, the reasons for the court's actions shall be clearly stated in writing, and the action shall be subject to review by the appellate courts by certiorari or other appropriate proceeding.
(4) The court's order of enforcement, when entered, shall have the same force and effect as a civil judgment.
(5) Notwithstanding RCW 34.05.578 through 34.05.590, this section is the exclusive method for enforcing an order of the commission.
[2010 c 204 § 1003; 1989 c 175 § 92; 1982 c 147 § 17; 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 112 § 13. Formerly RCW 42.17.397.]
| Effective date -- 1989 c 175: See note following RCW 34.05.010.|