(1) Definitions. For purposes of this section the following terms and meanings will apply:
(a) "Warehouse" means every structure wherein facilities are offered for the storage of tangible personal property.
(b) "Storage warehouse" means a building or structure, or any part thereof, in which goods, wares, or merchandise are received for storage for compensation, except field warehouses, fruit warehouses, fruit packing plants, warehouses licensed under chapter 22.09
RCW (which are agricultural commodities warehouses), public garages storing automobiles, railroad freight sheds, docks and wharves, and "self-storage" or "mini-storage" facilities whereby customers have direct access to individual storage areas by separate access.
(c) "Cold storage warehouse" means a storage warehouse used to store fresh and/or frozen perishable fruits or vegetables, meat, seafood, dairy products, or fowl, or any combination thereof, at a desired temperature to maintain the quality of the product for orderly marketing. This term does not include freezer space or frozen food lockers.
(d) "Automobile storage garage" means any off-street building, structure, or area where vehicles are parked or stored, for any period of time, for a charge.
(2) Business and occupation tax. Warehouse businesses are taxable according to the nature of their operations and the specific kinds of goods stored, as follows:
(a) Persons engaged in operating any "storage warehouse" or "cold storage warehouse," as defined herein, are subject to tax under the warehousing classification, measured by the gross income of the business. (See RCW 82.04.280
(b) Persons engaged in operating any automobile storage garage are subject to tax under the retailing classification, measured by gross proceeds of such operations. (See RCW 82.04.050
(c) Persons engaged in operating any warehouse business, other than those of (a) and (b) of this subsection, are subject to tax under the service classification, measured by the gross income of the business. (See RCW 82.04.290
.) This includes cold storage and frozen food lockers, field warehouses, fruit warehouses, agricultural commodities warehouses, and freight storage warehouses.
(d) Effective July 1, 1986, no warehouse business or operation of any kind is subject to tax under the public utility tax of chapter 82.16
(3) Tax measure. The gross income of the business of operating a warehouse includes all income from the storing, handling, sorting, weighing, measuring, and loading or unloading for storage of tangible personal property.
(4) Where a grain warehouseman purchases or owns grain stored in such warehouse, there shall be included in taxable gross income:
(a) An amount equal to the charges at the customary rate for all services rendered in connection with such grains up to the time of purchase by the warehouseman; and
(b) The amount of any charges for services that are rendered during the period of the warehouseman's ownership thereof billed and stated, as such, separately from the price of the grains on the invoice to the purchaser at the time of the sale by the warehouseman.
(5) Retail sales tax. Persons operating automobile garage storage businesses must collect and report retail sales tax upon the gross selling price of such parking/storage services.
(6) Consumables. Persons engaged in operating any of the business activities covered by this section must pay retail sales tax upon their purchases of consumable supplies, equipment, and materials for their own use as consumers in operating such businesses.
(7) Use tax. The use tax is due upon the value of all tangible personal property used as consumers by persons operating warehouse businesses, upon which the retail sales tax has not been paid.
For specific provisions covering temporary holding of goods in foreign or interstate movement by water, see WAC 458-20-193D
respecting stevedoring and associated activities.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 82.32.300
. WSR 87-05-042 (Order 87-1), § 458-20-182, filed 2/18/87; Order ET 74-1, § 458-20-182, filed 5/7/74; Order ET 70-3, § 458-20-182 (Rule 182), filed 5/29/70, effective 7/1/70.]