As used in this chapter, the term "instructional space" means the gross amount of square footage calculated in accordance with the American Institute of Architects, Document D101, The Architectural Area and Volume of Buildings, latest edition, for a school facility utilized by a school district for the purpose of instructing students: Provided, That the following areas shall not be included in any calculation of instructional space:
(1) Exterior covered walkways, cantilevered or supported.
(2) Exterior porches including loading platforms.
(3) Areas located above instructional spaces which are either vacant or primarily housing mechanical and/or electrical equipment.
(4) Space used by central administrative personnel.
(5) Stadia and grandstands.
(6) Bus garages.
(7) Free-standing warehouse space specifically designed for that purpose.
(8) Portable facilities.
(9) Other square footage not otherwise available or related to direct instruction or instructional support of the education program in the district.
(10) The portion(s) of any space(s) constructed from grants made as a gift to a school district by a private entity or a public entity which:
(a) Is dedicated by the written terms of the grant to joint use by the school district for educational purposes and by the general public for community activities for the useful life of the space(s); and
(b) The school district board of directors has accepted the gift in accordance with the joint use terms of the grant: Provided, That this exception does not apply to space(s) jointly financed by two or more school districts.
(11) Facilities that are shared or collocated between multiple school districts pursuant to a written, lawful agreement, and that are jointly used by and/or benefit those school districts.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.150.290
. WSR 12-20-013, § 392-343-019, filed 9/24/12, effective 10/25/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.525.020
. WSR 06-16-032, recodified as § 392-343-019, filed 7/25/06, effective 8/25/06; WSR 98-19-143, § 180-27-019, filed 9/23/98, effective 10/24/98; WSR 95-20-090, § 180-27-019, filed 10/4/95, effective 11/4/95. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.525.020
and 28A.525.055. WSR 95-08-032, § 180-27-019, filed 3/29/95, effective 4/29/95. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.47.830
, 28A.47.060 and 28A.47.802. WSR 90-01-076, § 180-27-019, filed 12/19/89, effective 12/19/89.]