The definitions in this section apply throughout RCW 49.17.400 through 49.17.430 unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Apprentice operator or trainee" means a crane operator who has not met requirements established by the department under RCW 49.17.430.
(2) "Attachments" includes, but is not limited to, crane-attached or suspended hooks, magnets, grapples, clamshell buckets, orange peel buckets, concrete buckets, drag lines, personnel platforms, augers, or drills and pile-driving equipment.
(3) "Certified crane inspector" means a crane inspector who has been certified by the department.
(4) "Construction" means all or any part of excavation, construction, erection, alteration, repair, demolition, and dismantling of buildings and other structures and all related operations; the excavation, construction, alteration, and repair of sewers, trenches, caissons, conduits, pipelines, roads, and all related operations; the moving of buildings and other structures, and the construction, alteration, repair, or removal of wharfs, docks, bridges, culverts, trestles, piers, abutments, or any other related construction, alteration, repair, or removal work. "Construction" does not include manufacturing facilities or powerhouses.
(5) "Crane" means power-operated equipment used in construction that can hoist, lower, and horizontally move a suspended load. "Crane" includes, but is not limited to: Articulating cranes, such as knuckle-boom cranes; crawler cranes; floating cranes; cranes on barges; locomotive cranes; mobile cranes, such as wheel-mounted, rough-terrain, all-terrain, commercial truck mounted, and boom truck cranes; multipurpose machines when configured to hoist and lower by means of a winch or hook and horizontally move a suspended load; industrial cranes, such as carry-deck cranes; dedicated pile drivers; service/mechanic trucks with a hoisting device; a crane on a monorail; tower cranes, such as fixed jib, hammerhead boom, luffing boom, and self-erecting; pedestal cranes; portal cranes; overhead and gantry cranes; straddle cranes; side-boom tractors; derricks; and variations of such equipment.
(6) "Crane operator" means an individual engaged in the operation of a crane.
(7) "Professional engineer" means a professional engineer as defined in RCW 18.43.020.
(8) "Qualified crane operator" means a crane operator who meets the requirements established by the department under RCW 49.17.430.
(9) "Safety or health standard" means a standard adopted under this chapter.
[2007 c 27 § 2.]
| Intent -- 2007 c 27: "The legislature intends to promote the safe condition and operation of cranes used in construction work by establishing certification requirements for construction cranes and qualifications for construction crane operators. The legislature intends that standards for safety of construction cranes and for certification of personnel operating cranes in construction work be established." [2007 c 27 § 1.]|
Effective date -- 2007 c 27: "This act takes effect January 1, 2010." [2007 c 27 § 7.]