Legend drugs and devices.
(1) Licensed midwives may purchase and use legend drugs and devices as follows:
(a) Dopplers, syringes, needles, phlebotomy equipment, suture, urinary catheters, intravenous equipment, amnihooks, airway suction devices, electronic fetal monitoring, toco monitoring, neonatal and adult resuscitation equipment, oxygen, glucometer, and centrifuge; and
(b) Pharmacies may issue breast pumps, compression stockings and belts, maternity belts, diaphragms and cervical caps, ordered by licensed midwives.
(2) In addition to prophylactic ophthalmic medication, postpartum oxytocic, vitamin K, Rho immune globulin (human), and local anesthetic medications as listed in RCW 18.50.115
, licensed midwives may obtain and administer the following medications:
(a) Intravenous fluids limited to Lactated Ringers, 5% Dextrose with Lactated Ringers heparin and 0.9% sodium chloride for use in intravenous locks;
(b) Sterile water for intradermal injections for pain relief;
(c) Magnesium sulfate for prevention of maternal seizures pending transport;
(d) Epinephrine for use in maternal anaphylaxis pending transport;
(e) Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccine to nonimmune postpartum women, HBIG and HBV for neonates born to hepatitis B+ mothers;
(f) Terbutaline for nonreassuring fetal heart tones and/or cord prolapse pending transport;
(g) Antibiotics for intrapartum prophylaxis of Group B Beta hemolytic Streptococcus (GBS) per current CDC guidelines; and
(h) Antihemorrhagic drugs to control postpartum hemorrhage, such as misoprostel per rectum (for use only in postpartum hemorrhage), methylergonovine maleate in the absence of hypertension, oral or intramuscular, prostaglandin F2 alpha (hemobate), intramuscular.
(3) The client's records shall contain documentation of all medications administered.
(4) The midwife must have a procedure, policy or guideline for the use of each drug.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.50.115
. WSR 05-06-118, § 246-834-250, filed 3/2/05, effective 4/2/05. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.040
. WSR 91-02-049 (Order 121), recodified as § 246-834-250, filed 12/27/90, effective 1/31/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.50.040
(3) and 18.50.115. WSR 88-12-040 (Order PM 732), § 308-115-250, filed 5/27/88.]