Written estimate required — Alternatives — Authorization to exceed — Exceptions.
(1) Except as provided in subsections (3) and (4) of this section, a repair facility prior to providing parts or labor shall provide the customer or the customer's designee with a written price estimate of the total cost of the repair, including parts and labor, or where collision repair is involved, aftermarket body parts or nonoriginal equipment manufacturer body parts, if applicable, or offer the following alternatives:
"YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A WRITTEN PRICE ESTIMATE FOR THE REPAIRS YOU HAVE AUTHORIZED. YOU ARE ALSO ENTITLED TO REQUIRE THE REPAIR FACILITY TO OBTAIN YOUR ORAL OR WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION TO EXCEED THE WRITTEN PRICE ESTIMATE. YOUR SIGNATURE OR INITIALS WILL INDICATE YOUR SELECTION.
1. I request an estimate in writing before you begin repairs. Contact me if the price will exceed this estimate by more than ten percent.
2. Proceed with repairs but contact me if the price will exceed $. . . . . .
3. I do not want a written estimate.
| . . . . . . . . . . . . ||(Initial or signature) |
| ||Date: . . . . . . . . . . . . ||Time: . . . . . . . . . . . . " |
(2) The repair facility may not charge the customer more than one hundred ten percent, exclusive of retail sales tax, of the total shown on the written price estimate. Neither of these limitations apply if, before providing additional parts or labor the repair facility obtains either the oral or written authorization of the customer, or the customer's designee, to exceed the written price estimate. The repair facility or its representative shall note on the estimate the date and time of obtaining an oral authorization, the additional parts and labor required, the estimated cost of the additional parts and labor, or where collision repair is involved, aftermarket body parts or nonoriginal equipment manufacturer body parts, if applicable, the name or identification number of the employee who obtains the authorization, and the name and telephone number of the person authorizing the additional costs.
(3) A written estimate shall not be required when the customer's motor vehicle or component has been brought to an automotive repair facility's regular place of business without face-to-face contact between the customer and the repair facility. Face-to-face contact means actual in-person discussion between the customer or his or her designee and the agent or employee of the automotive repair facility authorized to intake vehicles or components. However, prior to providing parts and labor, the repair facility must obtain either the oral or written authorization of the customer or the customer's designee. The repair facility or its representative shall note on the estimate or repair order the date and time of obtaining an oral authorization, the total amount authorized, the name or identification number of the employee who obtains the authorization, and the name of the person authorizing the repairs.
(4)(a) A written estimate is not required for the repair of any vehicle that:
(i) Qualifies for a horseless carriage license plate as defined in RCW 46.04.199
or a collector vehicle license plate as defined in RCW 46.04.1261
(ii) Is a street rod vehicle as defined in RCW 46.04.572
or a custom vehicle as defined in RCW 46.04.161
(iii) Is a parts car, which, for the purposes of this section, means a motor vehicle that is owned by a collector to furnish parts for restoration or maintenance of a vehicle described in RCW 46.18.220
(1) or 46.18.255
(1), thus enabling a collector to preserve, restore, and maintain such a vehicle.
(b) This subsection does not prohibit a customer seeking repair services for one of the vehicles listed under this subsection from requesting a written estimate, which may be provided at the discretion of the agent or employee of the automotive repair facility, and in which case the repair facility shall provide notification and documentation advising the customer that the requested repairs will be furnished on a time and materials basis, to be billed at least every two weeks.
[2012 c 27 § 1; 1993 c 424 § 5.]
| Effective date -- 2012 c 27: "This act takes effect January 1, 2013." [2012 c 27 § 2.]|
Severability -- Effective date -- 1993 c 424: See notes following RCW 46.71.005.