Limitation on total operating fees revenue waived, exempted, or reduced — Outreach to veterans.
(1) For the purpose of providing state general fund support to public institutions of higher education, except for revenue waived under programs listed in subsections (3) and (4) of this section, and unless otherwise expressly provided in the omnibus state appropriations act, the total amount of operating fees revenue waived, exempted, or reduced by a state university, a regional university, The Evergreen State College, or the community colleges as a whole, shall not exceed the percentage of total gross authorized operating fees revenue in this subsection. As used in this section, "gross authorized operating fees revenue" means the estimated gross operating fees revenue as estimated under RCW 82.33.020 or as revised by the office of financial management, before granting any waivers. This limitation applies to all tuition waiver programs established before or after July 1, 1992.
(a) University of Washington21 percent
(b) Washington State University20 percent
(c) Eastern Washington University11 percent
(d) Central Washington University10 percent
(e) Western Washington University10 percent
(f) The Evergreen State College10 percent
(g) Community colleges as a whole35 percent
(2) The limitations in subsection (1) of this section apply to waivers, exemptions, or reductions in operating fees contained in the following:
(a) RCW 28B.15.014;
(b) RCW 28B.15.100;
(c) RCW 28B.15.225;
(d) RCW 28B.15.380;
(e) RCW 28B.15.520;
(f) RCW 28B.15.526;
(g) RCW 28B.15.527;
(h) RCW 28B.15.543;
(i) RCW 28B.15.545;
(j) RCW 28B.15.555;
(k) RCW 28B.15.556;
(l) RCW 28B.15.615;
(m) RCW 28B.15.621 (2) and (4);
(n) RCW 28B.15.730;
(o) RCW 28B.15.740;
(p) RCW 28B.15.750;
(q) RCW 28B.15.756;
(r) RCW 28B.50.259; and
(s) RCW 28B.70.050.
(3) The limitations in subsection (1) of this section do not apply to waivers, exemptions, or reductions in services and activities fees contained in the following:
(a) RCW 28B.15.522;
(b) RCW 28B.15.540;
(c) RCW 28B.15.558; and
(d) RCW 28B.15.621(3).
(4) The total amount of operating fees revenue waived, exempted, or reduced by institutions of higher education participating in the western interstate commission for higher education western undergraduate exchange program under RCW 28B.15.544 shall not exceed the percentage of total gross authorized operating fees revenue in this subsection.
(a) Washington State University1 percent
(b) Eastern Washington University3 percent
(c) Central Washington University3 percent
(5) The institutions of higher education will participate in outreach activities to increase the number of veterans who receive tuition waivers. Colleges and universities shall revise the application for admissions so that all applicants shall have the opportunity to advise the institution that they are veterans who need assistance. If a person indicates on the application for admissions that the person is a veteran who is in need of assistance, then the institution of higher education shall ask the person whether they have any funds disbursed in accordance with the Montgomery GI Bill available to them. Each institution shall encourage veterans to utilize funds available to them in accordance with the Montgomery GI Bill prior to providing the veteran a tuition waiver.
[2008 c 188 § 3. Prior: 2007 c 522 § 948; 2007 c 450 § 2; 2007 c 130 § 1; 2006 c 229 § 2; 2005 c 249 § 3; 2004 c 275 § 51; 2000 c 152 § 3; 1999 c 344 § 3; 1998 c 346 § 904; 1997 c 433 § 5; 1993 sp.s. c 18 § 31; 1992 c 231 § 33.]
| Severability -- Effective date -- 2007 c 522: See notes following RCW 15.64.050.|
Finding -- Intent -- 2006 c 229: "The legislature finds that active military and naval veterans, reserve military and naval veterans, and national guard members called to active duty have served their country and have risked their lives to defend the lives of all Americans and the freedoms that define and distinguish our nation. The legislature intends to honor active military and naval veterans, reserve military and naval veterans, and national guard members who have served on active military or naval duty for the public service they have provided to this country by making available to all eligible admitted veterans a waiver of operating fees by a state university, a regional university, The Evergreen State College, or the community colleges as a whole, to veterans who qualify under RCW 28B.15.621." [2006 c 229 § 1.]
Part headings not law -- 2004 c 275: See note following RCW 28B.76.090.
Findings -- Intent -- 1999 c 344: See note following RCW 28B.15.544.
Construction -- Severability -- Effective date -- 1998 c 346: See notes following RCW 50.24.014.
Intent -- Severability -- 1997 c 433: See notes following RCW 28B.15.725.
Effective date -- 1993 sp.s. c 18: See note following RCW 28B.12.060.
Effective date -- 1992 c 231: See note following RCW 28B.10.016.