A charter school established under this chapter:
(1) Is a public, common school open to all children free of charge;
(2) Is a public, common school offering any program or course of study that a noncharter public school may offer, including one or more of grades kindergarten through twelve;
(3) Is governed by a charter school board according to the terms of a renewable, five-year charter contract executed under RCW 28A.710.160
(4) Is a public school to which parents choose to send their children;
(5) Functions as a local education agency under applicable federal laws and regulations and is responsible for meeting the requirements of local education agencies and public schools under those federal laws and regulations, including but not limited to compliance with the individuals with disabilities education improvement act (20 U.S.C. Sec. 1401 et seq.), the federal educational rights and privacy act (20 U.S.C. Sec. 1232g), and the elementary and secondary education act (20 U.S.C. Sec. 6301 et seq.).
[2013 c 2 § 202 (Initiative Measure No. 1240, approved November 6, 2012).]