The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Basic education goal" means the student learning goals and the student knowledge and skills described under RCW 28A.150.210
(2) "Certificated administrative staff" means all those persons who are chief executive officers, chief administrative officers, confidential employees, supervisors, principals, or assistant principals within the meaning of RCW 41.59.020
(4) "Certificated instructional staff" means those persons employed by a school district who are nonsupervisory certificated employees within the meaning of RCW 41.59.020
(5) "Class size" means an instructional grouping of students where, on average, the ratio of students to teacher is the number specified.
(6) "Classified employee" means a person who does not hold a professional education certificate or is employed in a position that does not require such a certificate.
(7) "Classroom teacher" means a person who holds a professional education certificate and is employed in a position for which such certificate is required whose primary duty is the daily educational instruction of students. In exceptional cases, people of unusual competence but without certification may teach students so long as a certificated person exercises general supervision, but the hiring of such classified employees shall not occur during a labor dispute, and such classified employees shall not be hired to replace certificated employees during a labor dispute.
(8) "Instructional program of basic education" means the minimum program required to be provided by school districts and includes instructional hour requirements and other components under RCW 28A.150.220
(9) "Program of basic education" means the overall program under RCW 28A.150.200
and deemed by the legislature to comply with the requirements of Article IX, section 1 of the state Constitution.
(10) "School day" means each day of the school year on which pupils enrolled in the common schools of a school district are engaged in academic and career and technical instruction planned by and under the direction of the school.
(11) "School year" includes the minimum number of school days required under RCW 28A.150.220
and begins on the first day of September and ends with the last day of August, except that any school district may elect to commence the annual school term in the month of August of any calendar year and in such case the operation of a school district for such period in August shall be credited by the superintendent of public instruction to the succeeding school year for the purpose of the allocation and distribution of state funds for the support of such school district.
(12) "Teacher planning period" means a period of a school day as determined by the administration and board of the directors of the district that may be used by teachers for instruction-related activities including but not limited to preparing instructional materials; reviewing student performance; recording student data; consulting with other teachers, instructional assistants, mentors, instructional coaches, administrators, and parents; or participating in professional development.
[2009 c 548 § 102.]
Effective date—2009 c 548 §§ 101-110 and 701-710:
See note following RCW 28A.150.200
Finding—2009 c 548:
See note following RCW 28A.410.270
Intent—Finding—2009 c 548:
See note following RCW 28A.305.130