(1) A parent of a student who believes that information in educational records collected, maintained, or used under this chapter is inaccurate or misleading or violates the privacy or other rights of the student may request that the school district which maintains the information amend the information.
(2) The school district shall decide whether to amend the information in accordance with the request within a reasonable period of time after receipt of the request.
(3) If the school district refuses to amend the information in accordance with the request, it shall inform the parent of the refusal and advise the parent of the right to a hearing, conducted by the school district, in accordance with school district procedures.
(4) The school district, on request, shall provide the parent an opportunity for a hearing to challenge information, in the educational records, to insure that it is not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy or other rights of the student.
(5) If, as a result of the hearing, the school district decides that the information is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy or other rights of the student, the agency shall amend the information accordingly and so inform the parent in writing.
(6) If, as a result of the hearing, the school district decides that the information is not inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the privacy or other rights of the student, the agency shall inform the parents of the right to place a statement commenting on the information or setting forth any reasons for disagreeing with the decision of the school district in the records it maintains on the student.
(7) Any explanation placed in the records of the student in compliance with this section shall:
(a) Be maintained by the school district as part of the records of the student as long as the records or the contested portion is maintained by the educational agency; and
(b) Be disclosed to any party to whom the records of the student (or the contested portion thereof) are disclosed.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.155.090(7) and 42 U.S.C. 1400 et. seq. 07-14-078, § 392-172A-05215, filed 6/29/07, effective 7/30/07.]