(1) Methods. Transportation options for students eligible for special education shall include the following categories and shall be exercised in the following sequence:
(a) A scheduled school bus;
(b) Contracted transportation, including public transportation; and
(c) Other transportation arrangements, including that provided by parents. Board and room cost in lieu of transportation may be provided whenever the above stated transportation options are not feasible because of the need(s) of the student or because of the unavailability of adequate means of transportation, in accordance with rules of the superintendent of public instruction.
(2) Welfare of the student. The transportation of the student shall be in accordance with rules of the OSPI governing transportation by public school districts.
(3) Bus aides and drivers. Training and supervision of bus aides and drivers shall be the responsibility of the school district.
(4) Special equipment. Special equipment may include lifts, wheelchair holders, restraints, and two-way radios. All such special equipment shall comply with specifications contained in the specifications for school buses as now or hereafter established by the OSPI.
(5) Transportation time on bus. Wherever reasonably possible, no student should be required to ride more than sixty minutes one way.
(6) Transportation for state residential school students to and from the residential school and the sites of the educational program shall be the responsibility of the department of social and health services and each state residential school pursuant to law.
(7) Transportation for a state residential school student, including students attending the state school for the deaf and the state school for the blind, to and from such school and the residency of such student shall be the responsibility of the district of residency only if the student's placement was made by such district or other public agency pursuant to an interagency agreement—i.e., an appropriate placement in the least restrictive environment.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.155.090
(7) and 42 U.S.C. 1400 et. seq. WSR 07-14-078, § 392-172A-02095, filed 6/29/07, effective 7/30/07.]