Develop a written permit-required confined space program.
• Identify and evaluate the hazards of permit-required confined spaces and the work performed, to assist you in developing your entry program.
• Develop a written program, before employees enter, that describes the means, procedures, and practices you use for the safe entry of permit-required confined spaces as required by this chapter. Include the following when applicable to your confined space entry program:
– Documentation of permit entry procedures.
– Documentation used for alternate entry procedures.
– How to reclassify permit-required confined spaces to nonpermit spaces.
– Designation of employee roles, such as entrants, attendants, entry supervisors, rescuers, or those who test or monitor the atmosphere in a permit-required space.
– Identification of designated employee duties.
– Training employees on their designated roles.
– How to identify and evaluate hazards.
– Use and maintenance of equipment.
– How to prevent unauthorized entry.
– How to coordinate entry with another employer.
– How to rescue entrants.
For alternate entry, your written program only needs to meet the requirements of WAC 296-809-400
, Employee training, and WAC 296-809-600
, Alternate entry procedures, of this chapter.
• Consult with affected employees and their authorized representatives when developing and implementing all aspects of your permit-required confined space program.
• Make the written program available to employees and their authorized representatives.
• Update your written program as necessary.
You can find a sample permit-required confined space entry program in the user guide located in the resources section of this chapter or by visiting the labor and industries web site at http://www.lni.wa.gov/wisha/publications/App.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010
, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, and 49.17.060. WSR 04-03-081, § 296-809-30002, filed 1/20/04, effective 5/1/04.]