(1) This section applies to the following types of material handling equipment: Rubber-tired, self-propelled scrapers; rubber-tired front-end loaders; rubber-tired dozers; wheel-type agricultural and industrial tractors; crawler tractors; crawler-type loaders; and motor graders, with or without attachments, that are used in agricultural work. This section does not apply to side-boom pipelaying tractors.
(2) You must ensure that material handling equipment manufactured on or after October 25, 1976, is equipped with ROPS that meet the minimum performance standards of WAC 296-307-08009
(3) ROPS and supporting attachments must meet the minimum performance standards of OSHA 1928.52 C.F.R., Protective Frames for Wheel Type Agricultural Tractors, or must be designed, fabricated, and installed in a manner that will support, based on the ultimate strength of the metal, at least two times the weight of the prime mover applied at the point of impact.
(a) The ROPS must be designed to minimize the likelihood of a complete overturn and to minimize the possibility of the operator being crushed in a rollover.
(b) The design must provide a vertical clearance of at least fifty-two inches from the work deck to the ROPS at the entrance.
(4) When ROPS are removed, they must be remounted so as to meet the requirements of this section.
(5) Each ROPS must have a label, permanently affixed to the structure, that states:
(a) Manufacturer's or fabricator's name and address;
(b) ROPS model number, if any;
(c) Tractor makes, models, or series numbers that the structure is designed to fit; and
(d) That the ROPS model was tested in accordance with the requirements of this section.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040
. WSR 98-24-096, § 296-307-085, filed 12/1/98, effective 3/1/99. WSR 97-09-013, recodified as § 296-307-085, filed 4/7/97, effective 4/7/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040
, [49.17.]050 and [49.17.]060. WSR 96-22-048, § 296-306A-085, filed 10/31/96, effective 12/1/96.]