Operating engineers (equipment operators).
For the purpose of the Washington state public works law, chapter 39.12
RCW, operating engineers operate, repair and maintain all types of self-propelled mechanically, electrically, electronically, hydraulic, automatic or remote controlled equipment on construction projects.
The work includes, but is not limited to, the following types of construction and equipment:
(1) Type of construction.
(a) Heavy and highway.
• Roads, streets, highways, grading and paving, excavation of earth and rock, viaducts, bridges, abutments, retaining walls, alleys, sidewalks, guard rails, fences, parkways, parking areas, athletic fields, railroads, airport grading, surfacing and drainage, pile driving, water supply, water development, reclamation, irrigation, drainage and flood control projects, water mains, pipe lines, sanitation and sewer projects, all common ditches, dams, aqueducts, canals, reservoirs, intakes, channels, levees, dikes, revetments, jetties, quarrying of breakwater or riprap stone, foundations pile driving piers, docks, locks, river and harbor projects, breakwaters, dredging, channel-cutoffs, duct lines, subways, shafts, tunnels, drilling, soil testing, clearing and grubbing, land leveling, quarrying, demolition and site clearing, tramways, soil stabilization, landscaping, beautification projects, hoisting or related work done by helicopters.
• Oil or gas refineries, nuclear power plants, industrial complexes and incidental structures.
• It shall also include any work relating to off-shore drilling and pipe lines.
• Construction, erection, alteration, repair, modification, demolition, addition or improvement, in whole or in part, of any building structure.
• It shall include the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of equipment, and other facilities used in connection with the performance of such building construction.
(c) Material supply. Operations such as quarries, sand and gravel plants, screening plants, asphalt plants, ready-mix concrete or batch plants and prestressed concrete plants (excluding established plants) that are established at the job site.
(2) Type of equipment.
• Asphalt machines, backhoes, blades, boring equipment, brooms, chippers, compactors, compressors, concrete saws, cranes, derricks, dozers, drilling equipment, hoists, lifts, loaders, motor graders, pavement breakers, paving machines, pumps, rollers, scrapers, screeds, shovels, tractors, and trenchers.
• Asphalt plants, concrete batch plants, crushing plants, and screening plants.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 39.12
RCW, RCW 43.22.270
and 43.22.051. WSR 00-15-077, § 296-127-01354, filed 7/19/00, effective 7/19/00.]