Formal processing of complaints.
(1) To be considered under the formal process, a complaint must be filed in writing with the campus complaints officer by the final day of the quarter following the quarter in which the problem occurred, except as otherwise provided in WAC 132F-121-090
for a grade complaint. For purposes of complaints, the quarter which follows spring quarter is fall quarter. The written document should fully specify the facts and other grounds on which the complaint is based, and should include copies of relevant supporting documents when feasible. The complaints officer may extend any deadline herein for good cause.
(2) If the complaints officer determines that the complaint does not qualify to be addressed through the formal process, that officer must inform the student, explaining the reasons in writing within five working days. The student complainant may obtain review of that notice of complaint disqualification by filing a written request with the complaints officer under subsection (9) of this section.
(3) If the complaints officer determines that the complaint does qualify as such, that officer must serve copies of the complaint and the supporting documents on the individual named in the complaint (the respondent) and the respondent's supervisor, within five working days.
(4) The respondent, upon receiving notice of the formal complaint, shall provide a response in writing to the complaints officer, and to the respondent's supervisor, within ten working days.
(5) The complaints officer must forward the written response, or the information that no response was received, to the student complainant within five working days of receipt of the response, or five working days from when a response was due.
(6) If the student complainant finds that the response or lack thereof is unsatisfactory she/he has five working days in which to submit a written request for the complaints officer to schedule a conference with the respondent to discuss the matter.
(7) Upon receipt of such request, the complaints officer has five working days to schedule the conference which must be convened within ten working days of receipt of the students' request or as soon thereafter as feasible. This conference will include the student, the respondent, and his or her supervisor, and be moderated by the complaints officer.
(8) During this conference the complaints officer shall try to facilitate resolution. The complaints officer shall produce a written statement summarizing the conference and provide copies to all parties within ten working days of the conference.
(9) The student complainant may request a review of the outcome of the complaint conference (or of a complaint disqualification) by submitting a written request for administrative review to the complaints officer within five working days of receiving the conference summary.
(10) The complaints officer shall forward, within five working days, the request for administrative review, the complaint, supporting documents, and the conference summary either to the vice president of instruction (if the officer determines that the complaint is predominantly an instructional matter), or to the vice president for student services (if the officer determines that the complaint is predominantly noninstructional in nature).
(11) This administrator shall review the complaint and documentation, and may also interview knowledgeable persons as appropriate. The administrator should render a written decision within ten working days after receiving the complaint and documents, or as soon thereafter as feasible. The administrator may accept, reject, or modify any of the previous action(s) in the matter, and/or take other action(s). This decision shall be in writing and shall be served on the student complainant and others deemed appropriate.
(12) This decision of the reviewing administrator shall be the final decision of the district on that complaint.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.140
(13). WSR 13-11-127, § 132F-121-080, filed 5/21/13, effective 6/21/13. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.100
, [28B.50].130, and/or [28B.50].140. WSR 03-16-015, § 132F-121-080, filed 7/28/03, effective 8/28/03.]