(1) The director, in the adoption of rules governing suspensions for cause, shall not authorize an appointing authority to suspend an employee for more than fifteen calendar days as a single penalty or more than thirty calendar days in any one calendar year as an accumulation of several penalties. The director shall require that the appointing authority give written notice to the employee not later than one day after the suspension takes effect, stating the reasons for and the duration thereof.
(2) Any employee who is reduced, dismissed, suspended, or demoted, after completing his or her probationary period of service as provided by the rules of the director, or any employee who is adversely affected by a violation of the state civil service law, chapter 41.06
RCW, or rules adopted under it, shall have the right to appeal, either individually or through his or her authorized representative, not later than thirty days after the effective date of such action to the Washington personnel resources board. The employee shall be furnished with specified charges in writing when a reduction, dismissal, suspension, or demotion action is taken. Such appeal shall be in writing. Decisions of the Washington personnel resources board on appeals filed after June 30, 2005, shall be final and not subject to further appeal.
(3) Any employee whose position has been exempted after July 1, 1993, shall have the right to appeal, either individually or through his or her authorized representative, not later than thirty days after the effective date of such action to the Washington personnel resources board. If the position being exempted is vacant, the exclusive bargaining unit representative may act in lieu of an employee for the purposes of appeal.
(4) An employee incumbent in a position at the time of its allocation or reallocation, or the agency utilizing the position, may appeal the allocation or reallocation to the Washington personnel resources board. Notice of such appeal must be filed in writing within thirty days of the action from which appeal is taken.
(5) Subsections (1) and (2) of this section do not apply to any employee who is subject to the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement negotiated under RCW 41.80.001
Effective date—Purpose—2011 1st sp.s. c 43:
See notes following RCW 43.19.003
Finding—Intent—2009 c 534:
See note following RCW 41.06.133
Appeals filed on or before June 30, 2005—2002 c 354:
"The transfer of the powers, duties, and functions of the personnel appeals board to the personnel resources board under *RCW 41.06.111
and the transfer of jurisdiction for appeals filed under section 213, chapter 354, Laws of 2002 after June 30, 2005, shall not affect the right of an appellant to have an appeal filed on or before June 30, 2005, resolved by the personnel appeals board in accordance with the authorities, rules, and procedures that were established under chapter 41.64
RCW as it existed before July 1, 2004." [ 2002 c 354 § 214.
Short title—Headings, captions not law—Severability—Effective dates—2002 c 354:
See RCW 41.80.907
Effective date—1993 c 281:
See note following RCW 41.06.022