Unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the words used in this chapter have the meaning given in this section.
(1) "Affirmative action" means a procedure by which racial minorities, women, persons in the protected age category, persons with disabilities, Vietnam-era veterans, and disabled veterans are provided with increased employment opportunities. It shall not mean any sort of quota system.
(2) "Agency" means an office, department, board, commission, or other separate unit or division, however designated, of the state government and all personnel thereof; it includes any unit of state government established by law, the executive officer or members of which are either elected or appointed, upon which the statutes confer powers and impose duties in connection with operations of either a governmental or proprietary nature.
(3) "Board" means the Washington personnel resources board established under the provisions of RCW 41.06.110
, except that this definition does not apply to the words "board" or "boards" when used in RCW 41.06.070
(4) "Career development" means the progressive development of employee capabilities to facilitate productivity, job satisfaction, and upward mobility through work assignments as well as education and training that are both state-sponsored and are achieved by individual employee efforts, all of which shall be consistent with the needs and obligations of the state and its agencies.
(5) "Classified service" means all positions in the state service subject to the provisions of this chapter.
(6) "Comparable worth" means the provision of similar salaries for positions that require or impose similar responsibilities, judgments, knowledge, skills, and working conditions.
(7) "Competitive service" means all positions in the classified service for which a competitive examination is required as a condition precedent to appointment.
(8) "Department" means an agency of government that has as its governing officer a person, or combination of persons such as a commission, board, or council, by law empowered to operate the agency responsible either to (a) no other public officer or (b) the governor.
(9) "Director" means the director of financial management or the director's designee.
(10) "Institutions of higher education" means the University of Washington, Washington State University, Central Washington University, Eastern Washington University, Western Washington University, The Evergreen State College, and the various state community colleges.
(11) "Noncompetitive service" means all positions in the classified service for which a competitive examination is not required.
(12) "Related boards" means the state board for community and technical colleges; and such other boards, councils, and commissions related to higher education as may be established.
(13) "Training" means activities designed to develop job-related knowledge and skills of employees.
[2015 3rd sp.s. c 1 § 314. Prior: 2011 1st sp.s. c 43 § 401; 1993 c 281 § 19; prior: 1985 c 461 § 1; 1985 c 365 § 3; 1983 1st ex.s. c 75 § 4; 1982 1st ex.s. c 53 § 1; 1980 c 118 § 2; 1970 ex.s. c 12 § 1; prior: 1969 ex.s. c 36 § 21; 1969 c 45 § 6; 1967 ex.s. c 8 § 48; 1961 c 1 § 2 (Initiative Measure No. 207, approved November 8, 1960).]
Effective date—Purpose—2011 1st sp.s. c 43:
See notes following RCW 43.19.003
Effective date—1993 c 281:
See note following RCW 41.06.022
Severability—1985 c 461: "If any provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [1985 c 461 § 17.]
Severability—1982 1st ex.s. c 53: "If any provision of this amendatory act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [1982 1st ex.s. c 53 § 32.]
Severability—1980 c 118:
See note following RCW 41.06.010