(1) If a child under the age of seventeen is required to attend school under RCW 28A.225.010
and if the actions taken by a school district under RCW 28A.225.020
are not successful in substantially reducing an enrolled student's absences from public school, not later than the seventh unexcused absence by a child within any month during the current school year or not later than the tenth unexcused absence during the current school year the school district shall file a petition and supporting affidavit for a civil action with the juvenile court alleging a violation of RCW 28A.225.010
: (a) By the parent; (b) by the child; or (c) by the parent and the child. Except as provided in this subsection, no additional documents need be filed with the petition. Nothing in this subsection requires court jurisdiction to terminate when a child turns seventeen or precludes a school district from filing a petition for a child that is seventeen years of age.
(2) The district shall not later than the fifth unexcused absence in a month:
(a) Enter into an agreement with a student and parent that establishes school attendance requirements;
(b) Refer a student to a community truancy board, if available, as defined in RCW 28A.225.025
. The community truancy board shall enter into an agreement with the student and parent that establishes school attendance requirements and take other appropriate actions to reduce the child's absences; or
(c) File a petition under subsection (1) of this section.
(3) The petition may be filed by a school district employee who is not an attorney.
(4) If the school district fails to file a petition under this section, the parent of a child with five or more unexcused absences in any month during the current school year or upon the tenth unexcused absence during the current school year may file a petition with the juvenile court alleging a violation of RCW 28A.225.010
(5) Petitions filed under this section may be served by certified mail, return receipt requested. If such service is unsuccessful, or the return receipt is not signed by the addressee, personal service is required.
[2012 c 157 § 1; 1999 c 319 § 2; 1996 c 134 § 3; 1995 c 312 § 68; 1992 c 205 § 203; 1990 c 33 § 220; 1986 c 132 § 3; 1979 ex.s. c 201 § 2. Formerly RCW 28A.27.022
Short title—1995 c 312:
See note following RCW 13.32A.010
Part headings not law—Severability—1992 c 205:
See notes following RCW 13.40.010