The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Board" means the funeral and cemetery board created pursuant to RCW 18.39.173.
(2) "Director" means the director of licensing.
(3) "Embalmer" means a person engaged in the profession or business of disinfecting and preserving human remains for transportation or final disposition.
(4) "Funeral director" means a person engaged in the profession or business of providing for the care, shelter, transportation, and arrangements for the disposition of human remains that may include arranging and directing funeral, memorial, or other services.
(5) "Funeral establishment" means a place of business licensed in accordance with RCW 18.39.145, that provides for any aspect of the care, shelter, transportation, embalming, preparation, and arrangements for the disposition of human remains and includes all areas of such entity and all equipment, instruments, and supplies used in the care, shelter, transportation, preparation, and embalming of human remains.
(6) "Funeral merchandise or services" means those services normally performed and merchandise normally provided by funeral establishments, including the sale of burial supplies and equipment, but excluding the sale by a cemetery of lands or interests therein, services incidental thereto, markers, memorials, monuments, equipment, crypts, niches, or vaults.
(7) "Licensee" means any person or entity holding a license, registration, endorsement, or permit under this chapter issued by the director.
(8) "Prearrangement funeral service contract" means any contract under which, for a specified consideration, a funeral establishment promises, upon the death of the person named or implied in the contract, to furnish funeral merchandise or services.
(9) "Public depositary" means a public depositary defined by RCW 39.58.010 or a state or federally chartered credit union.
(10) "Two-year college course" means the completion of sixty semester hours or ninety quarter hours of college credit, including the satisfactory completion of certain college courses, as set forth in this chapter.
Words used in this chapter importing the singular may be applied to the plural of the person or thing, words importing the plural may be applied to the singular, and words importing the masculine gender may be applied to the female.
[2009 c 102 § 1; 2005 c 365 § 1; 2000 c 171 § 10; 1989 c 390 § 1; 1982 c 66 § 1; 1981 c 43 § 1; 1979 c 158 § 39; 1977 ex.s. c 93 § 1; 1965 ex.s. c 107 § 1; 1937 c 108 § 1; RRS § 8313.]
| Reviser's note: The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015(2)(k).|
Funeral directors and embalmers account and cemetery account abolished, moneys transferred to funeral and cemetery account -- 2009 c 102: See note following RCW 18.39.810.
Effective dates -- 1982 c 66: See note following RCW 18.39.240.
Number and gender: RCW 1.12.050.