(1) Any person licensed to practice veterinary medicine, surgery, and dentistry in this state, veterinary laboratories, and others designated by this chapter shall immediately report in writing or by telephone, facsimile, or electronic mail to the director the existence or suspected existence of any reportable disease among animals within the state.
(2) Persons using their own diagnostic services must report any reportable disease among animals within the state to the director.
(3) The director shall investigate and/or maintain records of all cases of reportable diseases among animals within this state.
(4) The director may require appropriate treatment of any animal affected with, suspected of being affected with, or that has been exposed to any reportable disease. The owner may dispose of the animal rather than treating the animal as required by the director.
(5) It is unlawful for any person to import any animal infected with or exposed to a reportable disease without a permit from the director.
[1998 c 8 § 8; 1947 c 172 § 7; 1927 c 165 § 8; Rem. Supp. 1947 § 3117.]