HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
246-888-010  <<  246-888-020 >>   246-888-030

PDFWAC 246-888-020

What is self-administration with assistance and how is it different from independent self-administration or medication administration?

Self-administration with assistance means assistance with legend drugs and controlled substances rendered by a nonpractitioner to an individual residing in a community-based care setting or an in-home care setting. It includes reminding or coaching the individual to take their medication, handing the medication container to the individual, opening the medication container, using an enabler, or placing the medication in the hand of the individual/resident. The individual/resident must be able to put the medication into his or her mouth or apply or instill the medication. The individual/resident does not necessarily need to state the name of the medication, intended effects, side effects, or other details, but must be aware that he/she is receiving medications. Assistance may be provided with prefilled insulin syringes. Assistance is limited to handing the prefilled insulin syringe to an individual/resident. Assistance with the administration of any other intravenous and/or injectable medication is specifically excluded. The individual/resident retains the right to refuse medication. Self-administration with assistance shall occur immediately prior to the ingestion or application of a medication.
Independent self-administration occurs when an individual/resident is independently able to directly apply a legend drug or controlled substance by ingestion, inhalation, injection or other means. In licensed boarding homes, self-administration may include situations in which an individual cannot physically self-administer medications but can accurately direct others per WAC 388-78A-300. These regulations do not limit the rights of people with functional disabilities to self direct care according to chapter 74.39 RCW.
If an individual/resident is not able to physically ingest or apply a medication independently or with assistance, then the medication must be administered to the individual/resident by a person legally authorized to do so (e.g., physician, nurse, pharmacist). All laws and regulations applicable to medication administration apply. If an individual/resident cannot safely self-administer medication or self-administer with assistance and/or cannot indicate an awareness that he or she is taking a medication, then the medication must be administered to the individual/resident by a person legally authorized to do so.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 69.41 RCW, RCW 18.64.005. WSR 04-18-095, § 246-888-020, filed 9/1/04, effective 10/2/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.64.005 and 69.41.085. WSR 00-01-123, § 246-888-020, filed 12/17/99, effective 1/17/00.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group