HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
392-172A-05130  <<  392-172A-05135 >>   392-172A-05140

PDFWAC 392-172A-05135

Transfer of parental rights to the student at age of majority.

(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) of this section, when a student eligible for special education services reaches the age of eighteen or is deemed to have reached the age of majority, consistent with RCW 26.28.010 through 26.28.020:
(a) The school district shall provide any notices required under this chapter to both the student and the parents; and
(b) All other rights accorded to parents under the act and this chapter transfer to the student.
(2) All rights accorded to parents under the act transfer to students at the age of majority who are incarcerated in an adult or juvenile, state, or local correctional institution.
(3) Whenever a school district transfers rights under this section, it shall notify the student and the parents of the transfer of rights.
(4) Students who have been determined to be incapacitated pursuant to chapter 11.88 RCW shall be represented by the legal guardian appointed under that chapter.
(5) Students over the age of eighteen who have not been determined incapacitated under chapter 11.88 RCW, may be certified as unable to provide informed consent or to make educational decisions, and have an educational representative appointed for them pursuant to the following procedures:
(a) Two separate professionals must state in writing they have conducted a personal examination or interview with the student, the student is incapable of providing informed consent to make educational decisions, and the student has been informed of this decision. The professionals must be:
(i) A medical doctor licensed in the state where the doctor practices medicine;
(ii) A physician's assistant whose certification is countersigned by a supervising physician;
(iii) A certified nurse practitioner;
(iv) A licensed clinical psychologist; or
(v) A guardian ad litem appointed for the student.
(b) When it receives the required written certification, the school district will designate an educational representative from the following list and in the following order of representation:
(i) The student's spouse;
(ii) The student's parent(s);
(iii) Another adult relative willing to act as the student's educational representative; or
(iv) A surrogate educational representative appointed pursuant to and acting in accordance with WAC 392-172A-05130.
(c) A student shall be certified as unable to provide informed consent pursuant to this section for a period of one year. However, the student, or an adult with a bona fide interest in and knowledge of the student, may challenge the certification at any time. During the pendency of any challenge, the school district may not rely on the educational representative under this section until the educational representative obtains a new certification under the procedures outlined in (a) of this subsection. If a guardianship action is filed on behalf of the student while a certification is in effect, the school district must follow any court orders in the guardianship proceeding regarding the student's capacity.
(6) Nothing within this section shall prevent a student, who has reached the age of majority, from authorizing another adult to make educational decisions on that student's behalf using a power of attorney consistent with the requirements in chapter 11.125 RCW.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.155.090. WSR 21-19-065, § 392-172A-05135, filed 9/14/21, effective 10/15/21. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.155.090 and 34 C.F.R. Part 300. WSR 09-20-053, § 392-172A-05135, filed 10/1/09, effective 11/1/09. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.155.090(7) and 42 U.S.C. 1400 et. seq. WSR 07-14-078, § 392-172A-05135, filed 6/29/07, effective 7/30/07.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group