HTML has links - PDF has Authentication
Beginning of Chapter  <<  388-472-0005 >>   388-472-0010

PDFWAC 388-472-0005

What are my rights and responsibilities?

For the purposes of this chapter, "we" and "us" refer to the department and "you" refers to the applicant or recipient.
(1) If you apply for or get cash, a referral to the housing and essential needs (HEN) program, or food assistance benefits you have the right to:
(a) Have your rights and responsibilities explained to you and given to you in writing;
(b) Have us explain the legal use of DSHS benefits to you;
(c) Be treated politely and fairly no matter what your race, color, political beliefs, national origin, religion, age, gender, disability or birthplace;
(d) Request benefits by giving us an application form using any method listed under WAC 388-406-0010. You can ask for and get a receipt when you give us an application or other documents;
(e) Have your application processed as soon as possible. Unless your application is delayed under WAC 388-406-0040, we process your application for benefits within thirty days, except:
(i) If you are eligible for expedited services under WAC 388-406-0015, you get food assistance within seven days. If we deny you expedited services, you have a right to ask that the decision be reviewed by the department within two working days from the date we denied your request for expedited services;
(ii) Aged, blind, or disabled (ABD) assistance, or referral to the housing and essential needs (HEN) program, may take up to forty-five days.
(f) Be given at least ten days to give us information needed to determine your eligibility and be given more time if you ask for it. If we do not have the information needed to decide your eligibility, then we may deny your request for benefits;
(g) Have the information you give us kept private. We may share some facts with other agencies for efficient management of federal and state programs;
(h) Ask us not to collect child support (which includes medical support, as defined in WAC 388-14A-1020) if you fear the noncustodial parent may harm you, your children, or the children in your care;
(i) Ask for extra money to help pay for temporary emergency shelter costs, such as an eviction or a utility shutoff, if you get TANF;
(j) Get a written notice, in most cases, at least ten days before we make changes to lower or stop your benefits;
(k) Ask for an administrative hearing if you disagree with a decision we make. You can also ask a supervisor or administrator to review our decision or action without affecting your right to a fair hearing;
(l) Have interpreter or translator services given to you at no cost and without delay;
(m) Refuse to speak to a fraud investigator. You do not have to let an investigator into your home. You may ask the investigator to come back at another time. Such a request will not affect your eligibility for benefits; and
(n) Get help from us to register to vote.
(2) If you get cash or food assistance, you are responsible to:
(a) Tell us if you are experiencing an emergency such as having no money for food, or facing an eviction so we can process your request for benefits as soon as possible;
(b) Report the following expenses so we can decide if you can get more food assistance:
(i) Shelter costs;
(ii) Child or dependent care costs;
(iii) Child support that is legally obligated;
(iv) Medical expenses; and
(v) Self-employment expenses.
(c) Report changes as required under WAC 388-418-0005 and 388-418-0007.
(d) Give us the information needed to determine eligibility;
(e) Give us proof of information when needed. If you have trouble getting proof, we help you get the proof or contact other persons or agencies for it;
(f) Cooperate in the collection of child support unless you fear the noncustodial parent may harm you, your children, or the children in your care;
(g) Apply for and get any benefits from other agencies or programs prior to getting cash assistance from us;
(h) Complete reports and reviews when asked;
(i) Look for, get, and keep a job or participate in other activities if required for cash or food assistance;
(j) Cooperate with the quality control review process;
(k) Keep track of your EBT card for cash and food assistance and keep your personal identification number (PIN) secure. If you receive multiple replacement EBT cards, this may trigger an investigation to determine if you are trafficking benefits as described under WAC 388-412-0046 (2)(d); and
(l) Use your cash and food assistance benefits only as allowed under WAC 388-412-0046.
(3) If you are eligible for necessary supplemental accommodation (NSA) services under chapter 388-472 WAC, we help you comply with the requirements of this section.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.005, 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.08A.100, 74.04.770, 74.62.030, 41.05.021, 74.09.035, 74.09.530, and 2011 1st sp.s. c 15, 2013 2nd sp.s. c 10, and the 2013 biennial budget. WSR 15-02-006, § 388-472-0005, filed 12/26/14, effective 1/26/15. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.005, 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, 74.08.090, 74.08A.100, 74.04.770, 74.04.0052, 74.04.655, 74.08.043, 74.08.335 and 2011 1st sp.s. c 36. WSR 12-06-070, § 388-472-0005, filed 3/6/12, effective 4/6/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.04.510, 74.04.770, 74.12.260, 74.08.580, 9.91.142, 7 C.F.R. 273.16, the Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 as amended and 42 U.S.C. 601a; and 2011 c 42. WSR 11-19-047, § 388-472-0005, filed 9/13/11, effective 10/14/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.500, 74.04.510, 74.08.090, 74.08.010. WSR 11-07-014, § 388-472-0005, filed 3/8/11, effective 4/8/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055. WSR 08-18-007, § 388-472-0005, filed 8/22/08, effective 9/22/08. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, and 74.08.090. WSR 02-14-023, § 388-472-0005, filed 6/21/02, effective 7/1/02; WSR 01-10-104, § 388-472-0005, filed 5/1/01, effective 6/1/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090 and 74.04.510. WSR 99-17-025, § 388-472-0005, filed 8/10/99, effective 10/1/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057 and 74.08.090. WSR 98-16-044, § 388-472-0005, filed 7/31/98, effective 9/1/98. Formerly WAC 388-504-0430, 388-504-0440, 388-504-0450 and 388-505-0560.]
Site Contents
Selected content listed in alphabetical order under each group