(1) The board of trustees is authorized to grant tuition and fee waivers to students pursuant to RCW 28B.15.910
and the laws identified therein. Each of these laws, with the exception of those required by law, authorizes but does not require the board of trustees to grant waivers for different categories of students and provides for waivers of different fees. The board of trustees or its delegate must affirmatively act to implement the legislature's grant of authority. A list of waivers that the board has implemented can be found in the Bulletin, Timetable of Classes
, university web site, or any subsequently adopted publication.
(2) Even when it has decided to implement a waiver listed in RCW 28B.15.910
, the university, for specific reasons and a general need for flexibility in the management of its resources, may choose not to award waivers to any or all students who may be eligible under the terms of the laws, or it may decide to grant partial waivers. The university's description of the factors it may consider to adjust a waiver program to meet emergent or changing needs is found in subsection (5) of this section. All waivers are subject to subsection (5) of this section.
(3) The board of trustees also has the authority under RCW 28B.15.915
to grant waivers of all or a portion of operating fees as defined in RCW 28B.15.031
. Waiver programs adopted under RCW 28B.15.915
are described in the sources identified in subsection (1) of this section. Waivers granted under RCW 28B.15.915
are subject to subsection (5) of this section.
(4) Tuition and fees for self-sustaining courses and programs cannot be waived.
(5) The university may modify its restrictions or requirements pursuant to changes in state or federal law, changes in programmatic requirements, or in response to financial or other considerations, which may include, but are not limited to, the need to adopt fiscally responsible budgets, the management of the overall levels and mix of enrollments, management initiatives to modify enrollment demand for specific programs and management decisions to eliminate or modify academic programs. The university may choose not to exercise the full funding authority granted under RCW 28B.15.910
and may limit the total funding available under RCW 28B.15.915
, except for those waivers required by law.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.35.120
(12). WSR 04-09-106, § 516-60-010, filed 4/21/04, effective 5/22/04.]