The parking ticket represents a determination that a parking violation has been committed and the determination is final unless otherwise provided or appealed as provided in this chapter.
(1) Purpose. The parking appeals process serves three primary functions:
(a) To hear parking ticket appeals;
(b) To hear appeals of wheel lock eligibility determinations; and
(c) To hear appeals of impoundments.
(2) Procedure. Any person who has received a parking ticket may appeal the alleged parking violation. Appeal of wheel lock eligibility determinations and impoundments are described in WAC 504-15-865
(3) Written parking ticket appeals. The appeal must be in writing and received at the parking department within ten calendar days of issuance of the parking ticket. Forms for this purpose are available from the parking department. The parking appeals committee makes an initial decision regarding the appeal within twenty calendar days during the academic year and within thirty calendar days during the summer months after receipt of the appeal. The committee provides a brief statement of the reason(s) for its decision to the appellant within ten calendar days of the decision.
(4) Review hearing of initial decision. If the appellant is dissatisfied with the initial decision, the appellant may request a hearing before a hearing officer or the parking appeals committee. Such request must be made within ten calendar days of the date of the initial parking appeals committee decision. If no such request is received, the initial decision shall be final. During the hearing the appellant and representatives of the parking department may present and cross-examine witnesses. The hearing officer or appeals committee shall render a decision in writing and provide appellant with the decision within ten calendar days after the hearing.
(5) Appeal to district court. RCW 28B.10.560
provides that a person who is not satisfied with the final decision of the university may appeal to district court. The application for appeal to district court shall be in writing and must be filed at the parking department office within ten calendar days after the date of the review hearing. The parking department forwards the documents relating to the appeal to the district court.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.30.150
. WSR 08-08-050, § 504-15-860, filed 3/27/08, effective 7/1/08. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.30.095
, 28B.30.125 and 28B.30.150. WSR 95-13-003, § 504-15-860, filed 6/8/95, effective 7/9/95. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.30.125
, 28B.30.150, 28B.10.560 and chapter 34.05
RCW. WSR 90-11-078 (Order 90-1), § 504-15-860, filed 5/16/90, effective 7/1/90.]