To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Mandatory areas of study in the common school.
(1) Pursuant to RCW 28A.230.020
all school districts shall provide instruction in reading, penmanship, spelling, mathematics, geography, English grammar, physiology, hygiene, and history of the United States.
(2) Pursuant to RCW 28A.230.030
, unless instruction in a language other than English will aid the educational advancement of the student, all students shall be taught in English.
(3) Pursuant to RCW 28A.230.130
each school district offering a high school program shall provide a course of study which includes the preparation for uniform college and university entrance requirements.
(4) In addition to the requirements in the above subsections, each such school district shall offer all required courses for a high school diploma as provided in chapter 180-51
WAC and shall provide an opportunity for high school students to take at least one course in the following areas of study:
(b) Career education;
(c) Computer education;
(d) Consumer education;
(f) A language other than English which may include American Indian languages;
(g) Health education;
(h) Home and family life;
(j) Remedial education, including at least, remedial education in reading, language arts, and mathematics.
(5) Districts shall make available to all high school students enrolled therein the areas of study enumerated above either within the district or by alternative means which shall include equivalent education programs set forth in this chapter, interdistrict cooperative programs as permitted by RCW 28A.225.220
, and/or the full-time or part-time release of such students to attend nonresident districts pursuant to chapter 392-137
(6) Pursuant to RCW 28A.230.020
instruction about conservation, natural resources, and the environment shall be provided at all grade levels in an interdisciplinary manner through science, the social studies, the humanities, and other appropriate areas with an emphasis on solving the problems of human adaptation to the environment.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.230.090
. WSR 07-04-047, § 392-410-115, filed 1/31/07, effective 3/3/07. Statutory Authority: 2006 c 263. WSR 06-14-009, recodified as § 392-410-115, filed 6/22/06, effective 6/22/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010
. WSR 94-03-104 (Order 5-94), § 180-50-115, filed 1/19/94, effective 2/19/94. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130
. WSR 91-01-067, § 180-50-115, filed 12/14/90, effective 1/14/91. Statutory Authority: 1990 c 33. WSR 90-17-009, § 180-50-115, filed 8/6/90, effective 9/6/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.04.120
(6) and (8). WSR 84-21-004 (Order 12-84), § 180-50-115, filed 10/4/84.]