Acts that may be performed by licensed dental hygienists under general supervision.
A dentist may allow a dental hygienist licensed under chapter 18.29
RCW to perform the following acts under the dentist's general supervision:
(1) Head and neck examination.
(2) Oral inspection and measuring of periodontal pockets, with no diagnosis.
(3) Patient education in oral hygiene.
(4) Take intra-oral and extra-oral radiographs.
(5) Apply topical preventive or prophylactic agents.
(6) Administer local anesthetic agents and adjunctive procedures if all conditions in (a) through (d) of this subsection are met. Adjunctive procedures include local anesthetic reversal agents and buffered anesthetic.
(a) The patient is at least eighteen years of age;
(b) The patient has been examined by the delegating dentist within the previous twelve months;
(c) There has been no change in the patient's medical history since the last examination. If there has been a change in the patient's medical history within that time, the dental hygienist must consult with the dentist before administering local anesthetics;
(d) The delegating dentist who performed the examination has approved the patient for the administration of local anesthetics by a dental hygienist under general supervision and documented this approval in the patient's record;
(e) If any of the conditions in (a) through (d) of this subsection are not met, then close supervision is required.
(7) Polish and smooth restorations.
(8) Oral prophylaxis and removal of deposits and stains from the surfaces of the teeth.
(9) Record health histories.
(10) Take and record blood pressure and vital signs.
(11) Perform sub-gingival and supra-gingival scaling.
(12) Perform root planing.
(13) Apply sealants.
(14) Apply topical anesthetic agents.
(15) Deliver oral antibiotic prophylaxis as prescribed by a dentist.
(16) Take impressions, bite registration, or digital scans of the teeth and jaws for:
(a) Diagnostic and opposing models;
(b) Fixed and removable orthodontic appliances, occlusal guards, bleaching trays, and fluoride trays; and
(c) Temporary indirect restorations such as temporary crowns.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.32.0365
. WSR 17-01-045, § 246-817-550, filed 12/13/16, effective 1/13/17. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.32.0365
. WSR 14-12-057, § 246-817-550, filed 5/30/14, effective 6/30/14. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.32.035
. WSR 95-21-041, § 246-817-550, filed 10/10/95, effective 11/10/95.]