(1) A counseling-related bachelor's degree must be from a recognized educational program or institution. The degree must have required the equivalent of at least four years of full-time study and at least one third of the courses must have included one or more of subjects listed in subsection (4) of this section.
(2) A counseling-related associate degree must be from a recognized educational program or institution. The degree must have the equivalent of at least two years of full-time study and a supervised internship. At least one fourth of the required courses must have included one or more of the subjects listed in subsection (4) of this section.
(3) An advanced or graduate degree from a recognized educational program or institution in any of the subject areas listed in subsection (4) of this section will meet the education requirements for certified counselor or certified adviser.
(4) Counseling-related subjects:
(a) Addiction counseling;
(b) Adolescent and child counseling;
(c) Anger management counseling;
(d) Applied behavioral science;
(e) Behavior management or behavior modification;
(g) Child development;
(h) Clinical social work;
(i) Community mental health;
(j) Counseling persons with developmental or intellectual disabilities;
(k) Counseling ethics;
(l) Developmental psychology;
(m) Domestic violence counseling;
(n) Elder counseling;
(o) Grief counseling;
(p) Human development;
(q) Human services counseling;
(r) Learning disabilities counseling;
(s) Marriage and family counseling;
(t) Mental health counseling;
(u) Ministerial or pastoral counseling;
(v) Multicultural counseling;
(w) Organizational psychology;
(x) Personality theory;
(y) Physiological psychology;
(z) Psychiatry and psychiatric nursing;
(aa) Psychological measurement and research;
(cc) Psychopathology and abnormal psychology;
(dd) Sexual disorder counseling;
(ee) Social work;
(ff) Special education;
(gg) Stress disorder counseling;
(hh) Substance and chemical abuse counseling; and
(ii) Transpersonal psychology.
(5) The secretary may accept other equivalent counseling-related education or training programs in the subjects listed in subsection (4) of this section.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.19.050
and chapter 18.19
RCW. WSR 09-15-041, § 246-810-024, filed 7/8/09, effective 7/8/09.]