Health care services provided outside the state of Washington—General provisions.
WAC 182-501-0180 through 182-501-0184
apply only to services payable on a fee-for-service basis for Washington apple health (WAH) clients.
(1) Subject to the exceptions and limitations in this section, WAC 182-501-0182
, and 182-501-0184
, the medicaid agency covers emergency and nonemergency out-of-state health care services provided to eligible WAH recipients when the services are:
(a) Within the scope of the client's health care program as specified under chapter 182-501
(b) Allowed to be provided outside the state of Washington by specific program WAC; and
(2) The agency does not cover services provided outside the state of Washington under the Involuntary Treatment Act (chapter 71.05
RCW and chapter 388-865
WAC), including designated bordering cities.
(3) When the agency pays for covered health care services furnished to an eligible WAH client outside the state of Washington, its payment is payment in full according to 42 C.F.R. 447.15.
(4) The agency determines coverage for transportation services provided out of state, including ambulance services, according to chapter 182-546
(5) With the exception of designated bordering cities (see WAC 182-501-0175
), if the client travels out of state expressly to obtain health care, the service must be prior authorized by the agency. See WAC 182-501-0182
for requirements related to out-of-state nonemergency treatment and WAC 182-501-0165
for the agency's medical necessity determination process.
(6) The agency does not cover health care services provided outside the United States and U.S. territories, except in British Columbia, Canada. See WAC 182-501-0184
for limitations on coverage of, and payment for, health care provided to WAH clients in British Columbia, Canada.
(7) See WAC 182-502-0120 for provider requirements for payment of health care provided outside the state of Washington.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.05.021
. WSR 15-15-053, § 182-501-0180, filed 7/9/15, effective 8/9/15. WSR 11-14-075, recodified as § 182-501-0180, filed 6/30/11, effective 7/1/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090
. WSR 11-14-054, § 388-501-0180, filed 6/29/11, effective 7/30/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050
, and 74.09.035
. WSR 08-08-064, § 388-501-0180, filed 3/31/08, effective 5/1/08. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050
, and 74.09.700
. WSR 06-24-036, § 388-501-0180, filed 11/30/06, effective 1/1/07. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090
. WSR 01-01-011, § 388-501-0180, filed 12/6/00, effective 1/6/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090
. WSR 94-10-065 (Order 3732), § 388-501-0180, filed 5/3/94, effective 6/3/94. Formerly parts of WAC 388-82-135 and 388-92-015.]