The following definitions shall be used in this chapter:
(1) "College or university" means any regionally accredited baccalaureate degree granting Washington institution of higher learning or cooperative group of such institutions which has or develops programs of preparation in education which are submitted to the professional educator standards board for approval.
(2) "Endorsement" means a specification placed on a certificate to indicate the subject area, grade level, and/or specialization for which the individual is prepared to teach.
(3) "Interstate compact" means the contractual agreement among several states authorized by RCW 28A.690.010
which facilitates interstate reciprocity.
(4) "Program approval" means the approval by the professional educator standards board of an educator preparation program within Washington state.
(5) "Field experience" means a sequence of learning experiences which occur in actual school settings or clinical or laboratory settings. Such learning experiences are related to specific program outcomes and are designed to integrate educational theory, knowledge, and skills in actual practice under the direction of a qualified supervisor.
(6) "Regionally accredited institution of higher education" means a community college, college, or university which is a candidate for accreditation or is accredited by one of the following regional accrediting bodies:
(a) Middle States, Association of Colleges and Schools;
(b) New England Association of Schools and Colleges;
(c) North Central Association of Colleges and Schools;
(d) Northwest Association of Schools and of Colleges and Universities;
(e) Southern Association of Colleges and Schools;
(f) Western Association of Schools and Colleges: Accrediting Commission for Junior and Senior Colleges.
(7) "Accredited institution of higher education," for purposes of credit on salary schedule per RCW 28A.415.024
, means a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or a community college, college, or university, which is a candidate for accreditation or is accredited by the distance education and training council (DETC).
(8) "An approved performance-based educator preparation program" means a program that requires the candidate to demonstrate in multiple ways, over time, specific professional educator standards board required standards, criteria, knowledge and skills, including, where appropriate, evidence related to positive impact on student learning.
(9) "A positive impact on student learning" means that a teacher through instruction and assessment has been able to document students' increased knowledge and/or demonstration of a skill or skills related to the state goals and/or essential academic learning requirements: Provided, That teachers employed by private schools who are candidates for the professional teaching certificate shall document students' increased knowledge and/or demonstration of a skill or skills related to either:
(a) The state goals or essential academic learning requirements; or
(b) Such alternative learning goals as the private school has established.
(10) "Collaboration" (as used in WAC 181-78A-500
) means ongoing communication among the professional growth team members using a variety of formats (e.g., conferences, electronic mail, conference calls, etc.) to reach consensus regarding the content - Course work, experiences, competencies, knowledge and skills - Of the candidate's professional growth plan.
(11) "Professional growth team" for the purpose of professional certification, means a team comprised of the candidate for the professional certificate, a program administrator/designee, and a colleague/peer from the same professional role specified by the candidate.
(12) "Professional growth plan" means the document which identifies the specific competencies, knowledge, skills and experiences needed to meet the standards set forth in WAC 181-79A-207
(13) "Draft professional growth plan" means the document which identifies the specific competencies, knowledge, skills and experiences needed to meet the standards set forth in WAC 181-78A-540
(14) "Culminating seminar" means that component of the approved professional certificate program in which the candidate for a professional certificate presents his/her final documentation and evidence of professional certificate level knowledge, skill and performance, and positive impact on student learning. The culminating seminar shall meet requirements set forth in WAC 181-78A-535
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.210. 12-18-004, § 181-78A-010, filed 8/23/12, effective 9/23/12; 10-08-030, § 181-78A-010, filed 3/31/10, effective 12/1/11; 09-22-023, § 181-78A-010, filed 10/26/09, effective 12/1/11; 07-19-056, § 181-78A-010, filed 9/14/07, effective 10/15/07; 06-14-010, § 181-78A-010, filed 6/22/06, effective 7/23/06. 06-02-051, recodified as § 181-78A-010, filed 12/29/05, effective 1/1/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.401.010 [28A.410.010]. 04-21-038, § 180-78A-010, filed 10/15/04, effective 11/15/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 and 28A.410.010. 02-18-037, § 180-78A-010, filed 8/26/02, effective 9/26/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010 and 28A.305.130 (1) and (2). 01-19-080, § 180-78A-010, filed 9/19/01, effective 10/20/01; 00-03-049, § 180-78A-010, filed 1/14/00, effective 2/14/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 (1) and (2),28A.410.010 and 28A.150.220(4). 99-01-174, § 180-78A-010, filed 12/23/98, effective 1/23/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010 and 28A.305.130. 98-01-025, § 180-78A-010, filed 12/8/97, effective 1/8/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130. 97-04-084, § 180-78A-010, filed 2/5/97, effective 3/8/97.]