Vehicle fee—Transportation benefit district—Exemptions.
(1) Subject to the provisions of RCW 36.73.065
, a transportation benefit district under chapter 36.73
RCW may fix and impose an annual vehicle fee, not to exceed one hundred dollars per vehicle registered in the district, for each vehicle subject to vehicle license fees under RCW 46.17.350
(1) (a), (c), (d), (e), (g), (h), (j), or (n) through (q) and for each vehicle subject to gross weight license fees under RCW 46.17.355
with a scale weight of six thousand pounds or less.
(2)(a) A district that includes all the territory within the boundaries of the jurisdiction, or jurisdictions, establishing the district may impose by a majority vote of the governing board of the district up to twenty dollars of the vehicle fee authorized in subsection (1) of this section. If the district is countywide, the revenues of the fee shall be distributed to each city within the county by interlocal agreement. The interlocal agreement is effective when approved by the county and sixty percent of the cities representing seventy-five percent of the population of the cities within the county in which the countywide fee is collected.
(b) A district may not impose a fee under this subsection (2):
(i) For a passenger-only ferry transportation improvement unless the vehicle fee is first approved by a majority of the voters within the jurisdiction of the district; or
(ii) That, if combined with the fees previously imposed by another district within its boundaries under RCW 36.73.065
(4)(a)(i), exceeds twenty dollars.
If a district imposes or increases a fee under this subsection (2) that, if combined with the fees previously imposed by another district within its boundaries, exceeds twenty dollars, the district shall provide a credit for the previously imposed fees so that the combined vehicle fee does not exceed twenty dollars.
(3) The department of licensing shall administer and collect the fee. The department shall deduct a percentage amount, as provided by contract, not to exceed one percent of the fees collected, for administration and collection expenses incurred by it. The department shall remit remaining proceeds to the custody of the state treasurer. The state treasurer shall distribute the proceeds to the district on a monthly basis.
(4) No fee under this section may be collected until six months after approval under RCW 36.73.065
(5) The vehicle fee under this section applies only when renewing a vehicle registration, and is effective upon the registration renewal date as provided by the department of licensing.
(6) The following vehicles are exempt from the fee under this section:
(b) Farm tractors or farm vehicles, as defined in RCW 46.04.180
(d) Off-road and nonhighway vehicles, as defined in RCW 46.04.365
(e) Private use single-axle trailer, as defined in RCW 46.04.422
(f) Snowmobiles, as defined in RCW 46.04.546
(g) Vehicles registered under chapter 46.87
RCW and the international registration plan. [2010 c 161 § 917; 2007 c 329 § 2; 2005 c 336 § 16.
[2010 c 161 § 917; 2007 c 329 § 2; 2005 c 336 § 16.]
Effective date—Intent—Legislation to reconcile chapter 161, Laws of 2010 and other amendments made during the 2010 legislative session—2010 c 161:
See notes following RCW 46.04.013
Effective date—2005 c 336:
See note following RCW 36.73.015