Sales and use tax deferral — Historic automobile museum.
(1) The governing board of a nonprofit organization, corporation, or association may apply for deferral of taxes on an eligible project. Application shall be made to the department in a form and manner prescribed by the department. The application shall contain information regarding the location of the project, estimated or actual costs of the project, time schedules for completion and operation of the project, and other information required by the department. The department shall rule on the application within sixty days. All applications for the tax deferral under this section must be received no later than December 31, 2008.
(2) The department shall issue a sales and use tax deferral certificate for state and local sales and use taxes due under chapters 82.08, 82.12, and 82.14 RCW on each eligible project.
(3) The nonprofit organization, corporation, or association shall begin paying the deferred taxes in the fifth year after the date certified by the department as the date on which the eligible project is operationally complete. The first payment is due on December 31st of the fifth calendar year after such certified date, with subsequent annual payments due on December 31st of the following nine years. Each payment shall equal ten percent of the deferred tax.
(4) The department may authorize an accelerated repayment schedule upon request of the nonprofit organization, corporation, or association.
(5) Except as provided in subsection (6) of this section, interest shall not be charged on any taxes deferred under this section for the period of deferral. The debt for deferred taxes is not extinguished by insolvency or other failure of the nonprofit organization, corporation, or association.
(6) If the project is not operationally complete within five calendar years from issuance of the tax deferral or if at any time the department finds that the project is not eligible for tax deferral under this section, the amount of deferred taxes outstanding for the project shall be immediately due and payable. If deferred taxes must be repaid under this subsection, the department shall assess interest, but not penalties, on amounts due under this subsection. Interest shall be assessed at the rate provided for delinquent taxes under this chapter, retroactively to the date of deferral, and shall accrue until the deferred taxes due are repaid.
(7) Applications and any other information received by the department of revenue under this section are not confidential under RCW 82.32.330. This chapter applies to the administration of this section.
(8) This section applies to taxable eligible project activity that occurs on or after July 1, 2007.
(9) The following definitions apply to this section:
(a) "Eligible project" means a project that is used primarily for a historic automobile museum.
(b) "Historic automobile museum" means a facility owned and operated by a nonprofit organization, corporation, or association that is used to maintain and exhibit to the public a collection of at least five hundred motor vehicles.
(c) "Nonprofit organization, corporation, or association" means an organization, corporation, or association exempt from tax under section 501(c) (3), (4), or (10) of the federal internal revenue code (26 U.S.C. Sec. 501(c) (3), (4), or (10)).
(d) "Project" means the construction of new structures, the acquisition and installation of fixtures that are permanently affixed to and become a physical part of those structures, and site preparation. For purposes of this subsection, structures do not include parking facilities used for motor vehicles that are not on display or part of the museum collection.
(e) "Site preparation" includes soil testing, site clearing and grading, demolition, or any other related activities that are initiated before construction. Site preparation does not include landscaping services or landscaping materials.
[2005 c 514 § 701.]
| Effective date -- 2005 c 514 § 701: "Section 701 of this act takes effect July 1, 2007." [2005 c 514 § 1306.]|
Part headings not law -- Severability -- 2005 c 514: See notes following RCW 82.12.808.