(1)(a) Every person claiming a tax preference that requires a report under this section must file a complete annual report with the department. The report is due by May 31st of the year following any calendar year in which a person becomes eligible to claim the tax preference that requires a report under this section. The department may extend the due date for timely filing of annual reports under this section as provided in RCW 82.32.590
(b) The report must include information detailing employment, wages, and employer-provided health and retirement benefits for employment positions in Washington for the year that the tax preference was claimed. However, persons engaged in manufacturing commercial airplanes or components of such airplanes may report employment, wage, and benefit information per job at the manufacturing site for the year that the tax preference was claimed. The report must not include names of employees. The report must also detail employment by the total number of full-time, part-time, and temporary positions for the year that the tax preference was claimed.
(c) Persons receiving the benefit of the tax preference provided by RCW 82.16.0421
or claiming any of the tax preferences provided by RCW 82.04.2909
, or 82.12.022
(5) must indicate on the annual report the quantity of product produced in this state during the time period covered by the report.
(d) If a person filing a report under this section did not file a report with the department in the previous calendar year, the report filed under this section must also include employment, wage, and benefit information for the calendar year immediately preceding the calendar year for which a tax preference was claimed.
(2) As part of the annual report, the department may request additional information necessary to measure the results of, or determine eligibility for, the tax preference.
(3) Other than information requested under subsection (2) of this section, the information contained in an annual report filed under this section is not subject to the confidentiality provisions of RCW 82.32.330
and may be disclosed to the public upon request.
(4)(a) Except as otherwise provided by law, if a person claims a tax preference that requires an annual report under this section but fails to submit a complete report by the due date or any extension under RCW 82.32.590
, the department must declare:
(i) Thirty-five percent of the amount of the tax preference claimed for the previous calendar year to be immediately due and payable; and
(ii) An additional fifteen percent of the amount of the tax preference claimed for the previous calendar year to be immediately due and payable if the person has previously been assessed under this subsection (4) for failure to submit a report under this section for the same tax preference.
(b) The department may not assess interest or penalties on amounts due under this subsection.
(5) The department must use the information from this section to prepare summary descriptive statistics by category. No fewer than three taxpayers may be included in any category. The department must report these statistics to the legislature each year by December 31st.
(6) For the purposes of this section:
(a) "Person" has the meaning provided in RCW 82.04.030
and also includes the state and its departments and institutions.
(b) "Tax preference" has the meaning provided in RCW 43.136.021
and includes only the tax preferences requiring a survey under this section.
Effective date—2016 c 175:
"This act takes effect July 1, 2016." [ 2016 c 175 § 4.
Application—Prospective and retroactive—2016 c 175:
"(1) In addition to applying prospectively, sections 1(4) and 2(6) of this act apply retroactively for a taxpayer who has filed an appeal regarding taxes, penalties, and interest owed under RCW 82.32.534
before January 1, 2016, and the appeal is pending before the department of revenue or the board of tax appeals as of July 1, 2016.
(2) Except for taxpayers described in subsection (1) of this section, sections 1(4) and 2(6) of this act apply to amounts due and payable under sections 1(4) and 2(6) of this act on or after July 1, 2017." [ 2016 c 175 § 3.
Annual surveys and reports—Recommendations to update and improve—2013 2nd sp.s. c 13:
"By December 1, 2013, the department of revenue, in consultation with the joint legislative audit and review committee, must make recommendations to the appropriate fiscal committees of the legislature on ways to update and improve the annual report and annual survey. The recommendations must include suggested revisions to the report and survey that would make the data more relevant and reduce the administrative burden on the taxpayer." [ 2013 2nd sp.s. c 13 § 1801.
Application—Finding—Intent—2010 c 114:
See notes following RCW 82.32.585