Exemptions — Air pollution control facilities at a thermal electric generation facility — Exceptions — Payments on cessation of operation.
(1) For the purposes of this section, "air pollution control facilities" mean any treatment works, control devices and disposal systems, machinery, equipment, structures, property, property improvements, and accessories, that are installed or acquired for the primary purpose of reducing, controlling, or disposing of industrial waste that, if released to the outdoor atmosphere, could cause air pollution, or that are required to meet regulatory requirements applicable to their construction, installation, or operation.
(2) The provisions of this chapter do not apply in respect to:
(a) The use of air pollution control facilities installed and used by a light and power business, as defined in RCW 82.16.010, in generating electric power; or
(b) The use of labor and services performed in respect to the installing of air pollution control facilities.
(3) The exemption provided under this section applies only to air pollution control facilities that are:
(a) Constructed or installed after May 15, 1997, and used in a thermal electric generation facility placed in operation after December 31, 1969, and before July 1, 1975; and
(b) Constructed or installed to meet applicable regulatory requirements established under state or federal law, including the Washington clean air act, chapter 70.94 RCW.
(4) This section does not apply to the use of tangible personal property for maintenance or repairs of the pollution control equipment or to labor and services performed in respect to such maintenance or repairs.
(5) If production of electricity at a thermal electric generation facility for any calendar year after 2002 and before 2023 falls below a twenty percent annual capacity factor for the generation facility, all or a portion of the tax previously exempted under this section in respect to construction or installation of air pollution control facilities at the generation facility shall be due according to the schedule provided in RCW 82.08.810(5).
(6) RCW 82.32.393 applies to this section.
[2003 c 5 § 12; 1997 c 368 § 3.]
| Finding -- Intent -- Retroactive application -- Effective date -- 2003 c 5: See notes following RCW 82.12.010.|
Findings -- Intent -- Rules adoption -- Severability -- Effective date -- 1997 c 368: See notes following RCW 82.08.810.