(1) In the collection of the use tax on vehicles, the department of revenue may designate the county auditors of the several counties of the state as its collecting agents. Upon such designation, it shall be the duty of each county auditor to collect the tax at the time an applicant applies for transfer of certificate of title to the vehicle, except when the applicant:
(a) Exhibits a dealer's report of sale showing that the retail sales tax has been collected by the dealer;
(b) Presents a written statement signed by the department of revenue, or its duly authorized agent showing that no use tax is legally due; or
(c) Presents satisfactory evidence showing that the retail sales tax or the use tax has been paid by the applicant on the vehicle in question.
(2) As used in this section, "vehicle" has the same meaning as in RCW 46.04.670
(3) It shall be the duty of every applicant for registration and transfer of certificate of title who is subject to payment of tax under this section to declare upon the application the value of the vehicle for which application is made, which shall consist of the consideration paid or contracted to be paid therefor.
(4) Each county auditor who acts as agent of the department of revenue shall at the time of remitting vehicle license fee receipts on vehicles subject to the provisions of this section pay over and account to the state treasurer for all use tax revenue collected under this section, after first deducting as a collection fee the sum of two dollars for each motor vehicle upon which the tax has been collected. All revenue received by the state treasurer under this section shall be credited to the general fund. The auditor's collection fee shall be deposited in the county current expense fund. A duplicate of the county auditor's transmittal report to the state treasurer shall be forwarded forthwith to the department of revenue.
(5) Any applicant who has paid use tax to a county auditor under this section may apply to the department of revenue for refund thereof if he or she has reason to believe that such tax was not legally due and owing. No refund shall be allowed unless application therefor is received by the department of revenue within the statutory period for assessment of taxes, penalties, or interest prescribed by RCW 82.32.050
(4). Upon receipt of an application for refund the department of revenue shall consider the same and issue its order either granting or denying it and if refund is denied the taxpayer shall have the right of appeal as provided in RCW 82.32.170
, and 82.32.190
(6) The provisions of this section shall be construed as cumulative of other methods prescribed in chapters 82.04
RCW, inclusive, for the collection of the tax imposed by this chapter. The department of revenue shall have power to promulgate such rules as may be necessary to administer the provisions of this section. Any duties required by this section to be performed by the county auditor may be performed by the director of licensing but no collection fee shall be deductible by said director in remitting use tax revenue to the state treasurer.
(7) The use tax revenue collected on the rate provided in RCW 82.08.020
(3) shall be deposited in the multimodal transportation account under RCW 47.66.070
Effective date—Intent—Legislation to reconcile chapter 161, Laws of 2010 and other amendments made during the 2010 legislative session—2010 c 161:
See notes following RCW 46.04.013
Findings—2003 c 361:
See note following RCW 82.38.030
Effective dates—2003 c 361:
See note following RCW 82.08.020
Findings—Intent—Effective date—1996 c 149:
See notes following RCW 82.32.050