(1) The tax levied by RCW 82.08.020
does not apply to charges made for labor and services rendered in respect to the constructing of new buildings used for the manufacturing of semiconductor materials, to sales of tangible personal property that will be incorporated as an ingredient or component of such buildings during the course of the constructing, or to labor and services rendered in respect to installing, during the course of constructing, building fixtures not otherwise eligible for the exemption under RCW 82.08.02565
(2)(b). The exemption is available only when the buyer provides the seller with an exemption certificate in a form and manner prescribed by the department. The seller must retain a copy of the certificate for the seller's files.
(2) To be eligible under this section the manufacturer or processor for hire must meet the following requirements for an eight-year period, such period beginning the day the new building commences commercial production, or a portion of tax otherwise due will be immediately due and payable pursuant to subsection (3) of this section:
(a) The manufacturer or processor for hire must maintain at least seventy-five percent of full employment at the new building for which the exemption under this section is claimed.
(b) Before commencing commercial production at a new facility the manufacturer or processor for hire must meet with the department to review projected employment levels in the new buildings. The department, using information provided by the taxpayer, must make a determination of the number of positions that would be filled at full employment. This number must be used throughout the eight-year period to determine whether any tax is to be repaid. This information is not subject to the confidentiality provisions of RCW 82.32.330
and may be disclosed to the public upon request.
(c) In those situations where a production building in existence on *the effective date of this section will be phased out of operation during which time employment at the new building at the same site is increased, the manufacturer or processor for hire must maintain seventy-five percent of full employment at the manufacturing site overall.
(d) No application is necessary for the tax exemption. The person is subject to all the requirements of chapter 82.32
RCW. A person claiming the exemption under this section must file a complete annual report with the department under RCW 82.32.534
(3) If the employment requirement is not met for any one calendar year, one-eighth of the exempt sales and use taxes will be due and payable by April 1st of the following year. The department must assess interest to the date the tax was imposed, but not penalties, on the taxes for which the person is not eligible.
(4) The exemption applies to new buildings, or parts of buildings, that are used exclusively in the manufacturing of semiconductor materials, including the storage of raw materials and finished product.
(5) For the purposes of this section:
(a) "Commencement of commercial production" is deemed to have occurred when the equipment and process qualifications in the new building are completed and production for sale has begun; and
(b) "Full employment" is the number of positions required for full capacity production at the new building, for positions such as line workers, engineers, and technicians.
(c) "Semiconductor materials" has the same meaning as provided in RCW 82.04.240
(6) No exemption may be taken after twelve years after *the effective date of this act, however all of the eligibility criteria and limitations are applicable to any exemptions claimed before that date.
(7) This section expires twelve years after *the effective date of this act.
[2010 c 114 § 123; 2003 c 149 § 5.]
Finding—Intent—2010 c 114:
See note following RCW 82.32.585
*Contingent effective date—2010 c 114:
See RCW 82.32.790
Findings—Intent—2003 c 149:
See note following RCW 82.04.426