(1) In establishing policies to preserve, protect, and perpetuate wildlife, fish, and wildlife and fish habitat, the commission shall meet annually with the governor to:
(a) Review and prescribe basic goals and objectives related to those policies; and
(b) Review the performance of the department in implementing fish and wildlife policies.
The commission shall maximize fishing, hunting, and outdoor recreational opportunities compatible with healthy and diverse fish and wildlife populations.
(2) The commission shall establish hunting, trapping, and fishing seasons and prescribe the time, place, manner, and methods that may be used to harvest or enjoy game fish and wildlife.
(3) The commission shall establish provisions regulating food fish and shellfish as provided in RCW 77.12.047
(4) The commission shall have final approval authority for tribal, interstate, international, and any other department agreements relating to fish and wildlife.
(5) The commission shall adopt rules to implement the state's fish and wildlife laws.
(6) The commission shall have final approval authority for the department's budget proposals.
(7) The commission shall select its own staff and shall appoint the director of the department. The director and commission staff shall serve at the pleasure of the commission.
[2000 c 107 § 204; 1995 1st sp.s. c 2 § 4 (Referendum Bill No. 45, approved November 7, 1995); 1993 sp.s. c 2 § 62; 1990 c 84 § 2; 1987 c 506 § 7.]
Referral to electorate—1995 1st sp.s. c 2:
See note following RCW 77.04.013
Effective date—1995 1st sp.s. c 2:
See note following RCW 43.17.020
Effective date—1993 sp.s. c 2 §§ 1-6, 8-59, and 61-79:
See RCW 43.300.900
Legislative findings and intent—1987 c 506:
See note following RCW 77.04.020