Unless a different meaning is plainly required by the context, the following words and phrases as hereinafter used in this chapter and chapter 74.20
RCW shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Department" means the state department of social and health services.
(2) "Secretary" means the secretary of the department of social and health services, the secretary's designee or authorized representative.
(3) "Dependent child" means any person:
(a) Under the age of eighteen who is not self-supporting, married, or a member of the armed forces of the United States; or
(b) Over the age of eighteen for whom a court order for support exists.
(4) "Support obligation" means the obligation to provide for the necessary care, support, and maintenance, including medical expenses, of a dependent child or other person as required by statutes and the common law of this or another state.
(5) "Superior court order" means any judgment, decree, or order of the superior court of the state of Washington, or a court of comparable jurisdiction of another state, establishing the existence of a support obligation and ordering payment of a set or determinable amount of support moneys to satisfy the support obligation. For purposes of RCW 74.20A.055
, orders for support which were entered under the uniform reciprocal enforcement of support act by a state where the responsible parent no longer resides shall not preclude the department from establishing an amount to be paid as current and future support.
(6) "Administrative order" means any determination, finding, decree, or order for support pursuant to RCW 74.20A.055
, or by an agency of another state pursuant to a substantially similar administrative process, establishing the existence of a support obligation and ordering the payment of a set or determinable amount of support moneys to satisfy the support obligation.
(7) "Responsible parent" means a natural parent, adoptive parent, or stepparent of a dependent child or a person who has signed an affidavit acknowledging paternity which has been filed with the state office of vital statistics.
(8) "Stepparent" means the present spouse of the person who is either the mother, father, or adoptive parent of a dependent child, and such status shall exist until terminated as provided for in RCW 26.16.205
(9) "Support moneys" means any moneys or in-kind providings paid to satisfy a support obligation whether denominated as child support, spouse support, alimony, maintenance, or any other such moneys intended to satisfy an obligation for support of any person or satisfaction in whole or in part of arrears or delinquency on such an obligation.
(10) "Support debt" means any delinquent amount of support moneys which is due, owing, and unpaid under a superior court order or an administrative order, a debt for the payment of expenses for the reasonable or necessary care, support, and maintenance, including medical expenses, of a dependent child or other person for whom a support obligation is owed; or a debt under RCW 74.20A.100
. Support debt also includes any accrued interest, fees, or penalties charged on a support debt, and attorneys fees and other costs of litigation awarded in an action to establish and enforce a support obligation or debt.
(11) "State" means any state or political subdivision, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
(12) "Account" means a demand deposit account, checking or negotiable withdrawal order account, savings account, time deposit account, or money-market mutual fund account.
(13) "Child support order" means a superior court order or an administrative order.
(14) "Financial institution" means:
(a) A depository institution, as defined in section 3(c) of the federal deposit insurance act;
(b) An institution-affiliated party, as defined in section 3(u) of the federal deposit insurance act;
(c) Any federal or state credit union, as defined in section 101 of the federal credit union act, including an institution-affiliated party of such credit union, as defined in section 206(r) of the federal deposit insurance act; or
(d) Any benefit association, insurance company, safe deposit company, money-market mutual fund, or similar entity.
(15) "License" means a license, certificate, registration, permit, approval, or other similar document issued by a licensing entity to a licensee evidencing admission to or granting authority to engage in a profession, occupation, business, industry, recreational pursuit, or the operation of a motor vehicle. "License" does not mean the tax registration or certification issued under Title 82 RCW by the department of revenue.
(16) "Licensee" means any individual holding a license, certificate, registration, permit, approval, or other similar document issued by a licensing entity evidencing admission to or granting authority to engage in a profession, occupation, business, industry, recreational pursuit, or the operation of a motor vehicle.
(17) "Licensing entity" includes any department, board, commission, or other organization authorized to issue, renew, suspend, or revoke a license authorizing an individual to engage in a business, occupation, profession, industry, recreational pursuit, or the operation of a motor vehicle, and includes the Washington state supreme court, to the extent that a rule has been adopted by the court to implement suspension of licenses related to the practice of law.
(18) "Noncompliance with a child support order" for the purposes of the license suspension program authorized under RCW 74.20A.320
means a responsible parent has:
(a) Accumulated arrears totaling more than six months of child support payments;
(b) Failed to make payments pursuant to a written agreement with the department towards a support arrearage in an amount that exceeds six months of payments; or
(c) Failed to make payments required by a superior court order or administrative order towards a support arrearage in an amount that exceeds six months of payments.
(19) "Noncompliance with a residential or visitation order" means that a court has found the parent in contempt of court under RCW 26.09.160
(3) for failure to comply with a residential provision of a court-ordered parenting plan.
[1997 c 58 § 805; 1990 1st ex.s. c 2 § 15. Prior: 1989 c 175 § 151; 1989 c 55 § 1; 1985 c 276 § 4; 1979 ex.s. c 171 § 3; 1971 ex.s. c 164 § 2.]
Short title—Part headings, captions, table of contents not law—Exemptions and waivers from federal law—Conflict with federal requirements—Severability—1997 c 58:
See RCW 74.08A.900
Effective dates—Intent—1997 c 58:
See notes following RCW 74.20A.320
Effective dates—Severability—1990 1st ex.s. c 2:
See notes following RCW 26.09.100
Effective date—1989 c 175:
See note following RCW 34.05.010
Severability—1979 ex.s. c 171:
See note following RCW 74.20.300
Establishing paternity: RCW 70.58.080