Background checks — Individuals having unsupervised access to persons with significant disabilities — Rules.
(1) The department shall investigate the conviction records, pending charges, and disciplinary board final decisions of individuals acting on behalf of the department who will or may have unsupervised access to persons with significant disabilities as defined by the federal rehabilitation act of 1973. This includes:
(a) Current employees of the department;
(b) Applicants seeking or being considered for any position with the department; and
(c) Any service provider, contractor, student intern, volunteer, or other individual acting on behalf of the department.
(2) The investigation shall consist of a background check as allowed through the Washington state criminal records privacy act under RCW 10.97.050, the Washington state patrol criminal identification system under RCW 43.43.832 through 43.43.834, and the federal bureau of investigation. The background check shall include a fingerprint check using a complete Washington state criminal identification fingerprint card. If the applicant or service provider has had a background check within the previous two years, the department may waive the requirement.
(3) When necessary, applicants may be employed and service providers may be engaged on a conditional basis pending completion of the background check.
(4) The department shall use the information solely to determine the character, suitability, and competence of employees, applicants, service providers, contractors, student interns, volunteers, and other individuals in accordance with RCW 41.06.475.
(5) The department shall adopt rules addressing procedures for undertaking background checks which shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(a) The manner in which the individual will be provided access to and review of information obtained based on the background check required;
(b) Assurance that access to background check information shall be limited to only those individuals processing the information at the department;
(c) Action that shall be taken against a current employee, service provider, contractor, student intern, or volunteer who is disqualified from a position because of a background check not previously performed.
(6) The department shall determine who will pay costs associated with the background check.
[2003 c 409 § 11.]
| Findings -- 2003 c 409: See note following RCW 74.18.010.|