The definitions in this section apply throughout RCW 49.12.270
unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Child" means a biological, adopted, or foster child, a stepchild, a legal ward, or a child of a person standing in loco parentis who is: (a) Under eighteen years of age; or (b) eighteen years of age or older and incapable of self-care because of a mental or physical disability.
(2) "Grandparent" means a parent of a parent of an employee.
(3) "Parent" means a biological or adoptive parent of an employee or an individual who stood in loco parentis to an employee when the employee was a child.
(4) "Parent-in-law" means a parent of the spouse of an employee.
(5) "Sick leave or other paid time off" means time allowed under the terms of an appropriate state law, collective bargaining agreement, or employer policy, as applicable, to an employee for illness, vacation, and personal holiday. If paid time is not allowed to an employee for illness, "sick leave or other paid time off" also means time allowed under the terms of an appropriate state law, collective bargaining agreement, or employer policy, as applicable, to an employee for disability under a plan, fund, program, or practice that is: (a) Not covered by the employee retirement income security act of 1974, 29 U.S.C. Sec. 1001 et seq.; and (b) not established or maintained through the purchase of insurance.
(6) "Spouse" means a husband or wife, as the case may be.
[2005 c 499 § 1; 2002 c 243 § 2.]
Effective date—2002 c 243: "This act takes effect January 1, 2003." [2002 c 243 § 4.]