The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Commissioner" means the insurance commissioner of this state.
(2) "Occupant" means a person, or his or her sublessee, successor, or assign, who is entitled to the use of the storage space at a self-service storage facility under a rental agreement, to the exclusion of others.
(3) "Owner" means the owner, operator, property management company, lessor, or sublessor of a self-service storage facility. "Owner" does not mean an occupant.
(4) "Personal property" means movable property not affixed to land, and includes, but is not limited to, goods, merchandise, furniture, and household items.
(5) "Self-service storage facility" or "facility" means any real property designed and used for the purpose of renting or leasing individual storage space to occupants who are to have access to the space for the purpose of storing and removing personal property on a self-service basis, but does not include a garage or other storage area in a private residence.
(6) "Self-service storage insurance" is insurance that in connection with and incidental to the rental of space at a facility provides coverage to occupants at the facility for the loss of or damage to stored personal property that occurs at that facility.
(7) "Self-service storage insurance producer" means any owner of a facility that is licensed as a specialty lines insurance producer under chapter 48.17
RCW to offer, sell, or solicit self-service storage insurance under this chapter.
The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015