Secretary — Authority and duties.
The secretary shall have the authority and it shall be his or her duty:
(1) To serve as chief executive officer of the department with full administrative authority to direct all its activities;
(2) To organize the department as he or she may deem necessary to carry out the work and responsibilities of the department effectively;
(3) To designate and establish such transportation district, region, or branch offices as may be necessary or convenient, and to appoint assistants and delegate any powers, duties, and functions to them or any officer or employee of the department as deemed necessary to administer the department efficiently;
(4) To direct and coordinate the programs of the various divisions of the department to assure that they achieve the greatest possible mutual benefit, produce a balanced overall effort, and eliminate unnecessary duplication of activity;
(5) To adopt all department rules that are subject to the adoption procedures contained in the state administrative procedure act, except rules subject to adoption by the commission pursuant to statute;
(6) To maintain and safeguard the official records of the department, including the commission's recorded resolutions and orders;
(7) To provide, under contract or interagency agreement, staff support to the commission, including long-term technical and administrative support as needed, to assist it in carrying out its functions, powers, and duties;
(8) To execute and implement the biennial operating budget for the operation of the department in accordance with chapter 43.88 RCW and with legislative appropriation;
(9) To advise the governor and the legislature with respect to matters under the jurisdiction of the department; and
(10) To exercise all other powers and perform all other duties as are now or hereafter provided by law.
[2006 c 334 § 6; 2005 c 319 § 7. Prior: 1987 c 505 § 48; 1987 c 179 § 1; 1983 1st ex.s. c 53 § 30; 1977 ex.s. c 151 § 10.]
| Effective date -- 2006 c 334: See note following RCW 47.01.051.|
Findings--Intent--Part headings--Effective dates -- 2005 c 319: See notes following RCW 43.17.020.
Severability -- 1983 1st ex.s. c 53: See note following RCW 47.10.802.
Regulations governing parking facilities: RCW 46.61.577.