Violations — Corrupt practices — Initiative, referendum petitions.
Every person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor who:
(1) For any consideration or gratuity or promise thereof, signs or declines to sign any initiative or referendum petition; or
(2) Provides or receives consideration for soliciting or procuring signatures on an initiative or referendum petition if any part of the consideration is based upon the number of signatures solicited or procured, or offers to provide or agrees to receive such consideration any of which is based on the number of signatures solicited or procured; or
(3) Gives or offers any consideration or gratuity to any person to induce him or her to sign or not to sign or to vote for or against any initiative or referendum measure; or
(4) Interferes with or attempts to interfere with the right of any voter to sign or not to sign an initiative or referendum petition or with the right to vote for or against an initiative or referendum measure by threats, intimidation, or any other corrupt means or practice; or
(5) Receives, handles, distributes, pays out, or gives away, directly or indirectly, money or any other thing of value contributed by or received from any person, firm, association, or corporation whose residence or principal office is, or the majority of whose members or stockholders have their residence outside, the state of Washington, for any service rendered for the purpose of aiding in procuring signatures upon any initiative or referendum petition or for the purpose of aiding in the adoption or rejection of any initiative or referendum measure. This subsection does not apply to or prohibit any activity that is properly reported in accordance with the applicable provisions of chapter 42.17A RCW.
A gross misdemeanor under this section is punishable to the same extent as a gross misdemeanor that is punishable under RCW 9A.20.021.
[2011 c 60 § 14; 2003 c 111 § 2113; 1993 c 256 § 4; 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 112 § 2; 1965 c 9 § 29.79.490. Prior: 1913 c 138 § 32, part; RRS § 5428, part. Formerly RCW 29.79.490.]
| Effective date -- 2011 c 60: See RCW 42.17A.919.|
Severability -- Effective date -- 1993 c 256: See notes following RCW 29A.84.280.
Construction -- Severability -- 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 112: See RCW 42.17A.907 and 42.17A.903.
Misconduct in signing a petition: RCW 9.44.080.