(1) When enrolling a student who has attended school in another school district, the school enrolling the student may request the parent and the student to briefly indicate in writing whether or not the student has:
(a) Any history of placement in special educational programs;
(b) Any past, current, or pending disciplinary action;
(c) Any history of violent behavior, or behavior listed in RCW 13.04.155;
(d) Any unpaid fines or fees imposed by other schools; and
(e) Any health conditions affecting the student's educational needs.
(2) The school enrolling the student shall request the school the student previously attended to send the student's permanent record including records of disciplinary action, history of violent behavior or behavior listed in RCW 13.04.155, attendance, immunization records, and academic performance. If the student has not paid a fine or fee under RCW 28A.635.060, or tuition, fees, or fines at approved private schools the school may withhold the student's official transcript, but shall transmit information about the student's academic performance, special placement, immunization records, records of disciplinary action, and history of violent behavior or behavior listed in RCW 13.04.155. If the official transcript is not sent due to unpaid tuition, fees, or fines, the enrolling school shall notify both the student and parent or guardian that the official transcript will not be sent until the obligation is met, and failure to have an official transcript may result in exclusion from extracurricular activities or failure to graduate.
(3) Upon request, school districts shall furnish a set of unofficial educational records to a parent or guardian of a student who is transferring out of state and who meets the definition of a child of a military family in transition under Article II of RCW 28A.705.010. School districts may charge the parent or guardian the actual cost of providing the copies of the records.
(4) If information is requested under subsection (2) of this section, the information shall be transmitted within two school days after receiving the request and the records shall be sent as soon as possible. The records of a student who meets the definition of a child of a military family in transition under Article II of RCW 28A.705.010 shall be sent within ten days after receiving the request. Any school district or district employee who releases the information in compliance with this section is immune from civil liability for damages unless it is shown that the school district employee acted with gross negligence or in bad faith. The professional educator standards board shall provide by rule for the discipline under chapter 28A.410 RCW of a school principal or other chief administrator of a public school building who fails to make a good faith effort to assure compliance with this subsection.
(5) Any school district or district employee who releases the information in compliance with federal and state law is immune from civil liability for damages unless it is shown that the school district or district employee acted with gross negligence or in bad faith.
(6) When a school receives information under this section or RCW 13.40.215 that a student has a history of disciplinary actions, criminal or violent behavior, or other behavior that indicates the student could be a threat to the safety of educational staff or other students, the school shall provide this information to the student's teachers and security personnel.
(7) A school may not prevent a student who is dependent pursuant to chapter 13.34 RCW from enrolling if there is incomplete information as enumerated in subsection (1) of this section during the ten business days that the department of social and health services has to obtain that information under RCW 74.13.631. In addition, upon enrollment of a student who is dependent pursuant to chapter 13.34 RCW, the school district must make reasonable efforts to obtain and assess that child's educational history in order to meet the child's unique needs within two business days.
[2013 c 182 § 10; 2009 c 380 § 2; 2006 c 263 § 805; 1999 c 198 § 3; 1997 c 266 § 4. Prior: 1995 c 324 § 2; 1995 c 311 § 25; 1994 c 304 § 2.]
| Findings -- 2013 c 182: See note following RCW 13.34.030.|
Findings -- Purpose -- Part headings not law -- 2006 c 263: See notes following RCW 28A.150.230.
Findings -- Intent -- Severability -- 1997 c 266: See notes following RCW 28A.600.455.
Effective date -- 1994 c 304: See note following RCW 28A.635.060.