Student transportation allocation — Definitions.
For purposes of RCW 28A.160.150 through 28A.160.190, except where the context shall clearly indicate otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Eligible student" means any student served by the transportation program of a school district or compensated for individual transportation arrangements authorized by RCW 28A.160.030 whose route stop is outside the walk area for a student's school, except if the student to be transported is disabled under RCW 28A.155.020 and is either not ambulatory or not capable of protecting his or her own welfare while traveling to or from the school or agency where special education services are provided, in which case no mileage distance restriction applies.
(2) "Superintendent" means the superintendent of public instruction.
(3) "To and from school" means the transportation of students for the following purposes:
(a) Transportation to and from route stops and schools;
(b) Transportation to and from schools pursuant to an interdistrict agreement pursuant to RCW 28A.335.160;
(c) Transportation of students between schools and learning centers for instruction specifically required by statute; and
(d) Transportation of students with disabilities to and from schools and agencies for special education services.
Academic extended day transportation for the instructional program of basic education under RCW 28A.150.220 shall be considered part of transportation of students "to and from school" for the purposes of this section. Transportation for field trips may not be considered part of transportation of students "to and from school" under this section.
(4) "Transportation services" for students living within the walk area includes the coordination of walk-to-school programs, the funding of crossing guards, and matching funds for local and state transportation projects intended to mitigate hazardous walking conditions. Priority for transportation services shall be given to students in grades kindergarten through five.
(5) As used in this section, "walk area" means that area around a school with an adequate roadway configuration to provide students access to school with a walking distance of less than one mile. Mileage must be measured along the shortest roadway or maintained public walkway where hazardous conditions do not exist. The hazardous conditions must be documented by a process established in rule by the superintendent of public instruction and must include roadway, environmental, and social conditions. Each elementary school shall identify walk routes within the walk area.
[2009 c 548 § 305; 1996 c 279 § 2; 1995 c 77 § 17; 1990 c 33 § 142; 1983 1st ex.s. c 61 § 3; 1981 c 265 § 2. Formerly RCW 28A.41.510.]
| Effective date -- 2009 c 548 §§ 304-311: See note following RCW 28A.160.150.|
Intent -- 2009 c 548: See RCW 28A.150.1981.
Finding -- 2009 c 548: See note following RCW 28A.410.270.
Intent -- Finding -- 2009 c 548: See note following RCW 28A.305.130.
Application -- 1996 c 279: See note following RCW 28A.160.150.
Severability -- 1983 1st ex.s. c 61: See note following RCW 28A.160.010.
Effective date -- Severability -- 1981 c 265: See notes following RCW 28A.160.150.