The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Close supervision" means that a supervising dentist whose patient is being treated has personally diagnosed the condition to be treated and has personally authorized the procedures to be performed. The supervising dentist is continuously on-site and physically present in the treatment facility while the procedures are performed by the assistive personnel and capable of responding immediately in the event of an emergency. The term does not require a supervising dentist to be physically present in the operatory.
(2) "Commission" means the Washington state dental quality assurance commission created in chapter 18.32 RCW.
(3) "Dental assistant" means a person who is registered by the commission to provide supportive services to a licensed dentist to the extent provided in this chapter and under the close supervision of a dentist.
(4) "Dentist" means an individual who holds a license to practice dentistry under chapter 18.32 RCW.
(5) "Department" means the department of health.
(6) "Expanded function dental auxiliary" means a person who is licensed by the commission to provide supportive services to a licensed dentist to the extent provided in this chapter and under the specified level of supervision of a dentist.
(7) "General supervision" means that a supervising dentist has examined and diagnosed the patient and provided subsequent instructions to be performed by the assistive personnel, but does not require that the dentist be physically present in the treatment facility.
(8) "Secretary" means the secretary of health.
(9) "Supervising dentist" means a dentist licensed under chapter 18.32 RCW that is responsible for providing the appropriate level of supervision for dental assistants and expanded function dental auxiliaries.
[2007 c 269 § 1.]