The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Accredited architectural degree" means a professional degree from an institution of higher education accredited by the national architectural accreditation board or an equivalent degree in architecture as determined by the board.
(2) "Administration of the construction contract" means the periodic observation of materials and work to observe the general compliance with the construction contract documents, and does not include responsibility for supervising construction methods and processes, site conditions, equipment operations, personnel, or safety on the work site.
(3) "Architect" means an individual who is registered under this chapter to practice architecture.
(4) "Board" means the state board for architects.
(5) "Certificate of authorization" means a certificate issued by the director to a business entity that authorizes the entity to practice architecture.
(6) "Certificate of registration" means the certificate issued by the director to newly registered architects.
(7) "Department" means the department of licensing.
(8) "Director" means the director of licensing.
(9) "Engineer" means an individual who is registered as an engineer under chapter 18.43
(10) "Managers" means the members of a limited liability company in which management of its business is vested in the members, and the managers of a limited liability company in which management of its business is vested in one or more managers.
(11) "Person" means any individual, partnership, professional service corporation, corporation, joint stock association, joint venture, or any other entity authorized to do business in the state.
(12) "Practice of architecture" means the rendering of services in connection with the art and science of building design for construction of any structure or grouping of structures and the use of space within and surrounding the structures or the design for construction of alterations or additions to the structures, including but not specifically limited to predesign services, schematic design, design development, preparation of construction contract documents, and administration of the construction contract.
(13) "Prototypical documents" means drawings or specifications, prepared by a person registered as an architect in any state or as otherwise approved by the board, that are not intended as final and complete technical submissions for a building project, but rather are to serve as a prototype for a building or buildings to be adapted by an architect for construction in more than one location.
(14) "Registered" means holding a currently valid certificate of registration or certificate of authorization issued by the director authorizing the practice of architecture.
(15) "Registered professional design firm" means a business entity registered in Washington to offer and provide architectural services under RCW 18.08.420
(16) "Review" means a process of examination and evaluation, of the documents, for compliance with applicable laws, codes, and regulations affecting the built environment that includes the ability to control the final product.
(17) "Structure" means any construction consisting of load-bearing members such as the foundation, roof, floors, walls, columns, girders, and beams or a combination of any number of these parts, with or without other parts or appurtenances.
[2010 c 129 § 2; 1985 c 37 § 3.]
The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015