To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Exemptions for indigent housing guidelines.
Cities and counties are permitted the option of adopting exemptions from the state building code requirements for buildings whose character of use or occupancy has been changed in order to provide housing for indigent persons. The adoption of an ordinance or resolution by cities and counties for the purpose to provide for occupancy exemptions for indigent housing as outlined in this section, shall not be considered a local government residential amendment requiring approval by the state building code council.
The guideline shall read as follows:
The character of use or occupancy of an existing building located in this state, may be changed in order to provide housing for indigent persons, without conforming to all of the requirements of the State Building Code provided that:
1. The building official has reviewed and approved the proposed exemption; and,
2. The proposed housing for indigent persons is less hazardous than the existing use; and,
3. Any code deficiencies exempted pose no threat to human life, health, or safety; and,
4. The building or buildings exempted are owned or administered by a public agency or nonprofit corporation; and,
5. The exemption is authorized for no more than five years, subject to renewal of the exemption by the building official.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 19.27.074
, chapter 19.27
RCW and 1991 c 139. WSR 92-01-069, § 51-16-030, filed 12/13/91, effective 7/1/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 19.27.020
. WSR 91-01-117, § 51-16-030, filed 12/19/90, effective 7/1/91. Statutory Authority: Chapters 19.27
, 19.27A and 70.92
RCW, and 1989 c 266. WSR 90-02-110, § 51-16-030, filed 1/3/90, effective 7/1/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 19.27.074
. WSR 88-24-018 and 89-11-081 (Orders 88-11 and 88-11A), § 51-16-030, filed 12/1/88 and 5/23/89, effective 7/1/89. Statutory Authority: 1985 c 360. WSR 85-24-029 (Order 85-13), § 51-16-030, filed 11/26/85, effective 6/11/86.]