• Develop and carry out a written chemical hygiene plan (CHP) that will protect your employees from hazardous substances in the laboratory and keep exposure levels below those listed in chapter 296-841
WAC, Airborne contaminants.
• Make sure the written plan is readily available to employees and their representatives.
• Include the following elements in your written CHP:
– The names or job titles of the chemical hygiene officer, other personnel responsible for implementing the CHP, or when appropriate, the members of a chemical hygiene committee.
– Standard operating procedures that provide employee protection when working with hazardous substances.
– Criteria for how you will select and use control measures to reduce employee exposures to hazardous chemicals, especially chemicals known to be extremely hazardous.
– Additional employee protection for select carcinogens, reproductive toxins, and chemicals with high degree of acute toxicity. The following will be considered, when appropriate:
▪ The establishment of exposure control areas.
▪ Containment devices, such as fume hoods or glove boxes.
▪ The safe removal of contaminated waste.
▪ Procedures for decontamination.
– Specific measures to make sure fume hoods and other protective equipment provide proper and adequate performance and are properly functioning.
– The circumstances when specific laboratory operation, activity, or procedure requires prior approval from the employer or their designated representative before implementation.
– A description of how you are going to train and inform your employees about laboratory use of hazardous chemicals.
– A description of your provisions for medical consultations and medical examinations.
• Review and evaluate the effectiveness of your written CHP at least annually and update as necessary.
|Reference: ||This publication can provide you with additional information to help you with your written chemical hygiene plan: |
| ||National Research Council, Prudent Practices for Disposal of Chemicals from Laboratories, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1995. |
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, 49.17.060. 07-05-062, § 296-828-20005, filed 2/20/07, effective 4/1/07; 06-02-060, § 296-828-20005, filed 1/3/06, effective 4/1/06.]