(1) Make sure equipment meets ANSI design and construction requirements.
• Make sure power lawnmowers manufactured on or after August 1, 2003, meet the requirements of the appropriate ANSI standard:
– ANSI B71.1-1998, American National Standard for Consumer Turf Care Equipment - Walk-Behind Mowers and Ride-On Machines with Mowers - Safety Specifications OR
– ANSI B71.4-1999, American National Standard for Commercial Turf Care Equipment - Safety Specifications.
• Make sure noncommercial power lawnmowers manufactured before the effective date of this chapter meet the requirements in chapter 296-806
WAC, Machine safety.
|Note: ||There may be a statement on the tool or in the instruction manual indicating the tool meets the requirements of the appropriate ANSI standard. If in doubt, check with the manufacturer. |
(2) Position, guard or shield all power-driven shafts, chains, belts, gears, friction drive components, nip and pinch points, and any exposed components hot enough to cause burns while:
• Operating the machine.
(3) Have a shutoff device that:
• Will stop the motor or engine AND
• Has to be intentionally and manually activated before the motor or engine can be restarted.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, 49.17.060. 06-05-027, § 296-807-16005, filed 2/7/06, effective 4/1/06; 03-09-009, § 296-807-16005, filed 4/4/03, effective 8/1/03.]